Monday, June 2, 2014

Turkey Jumble 5/22/14

Doesn’t seem possible that May is nearly gone, but I just noticed that this year there are five Thursdays in May. Guess I will be able to adjust before I have to turn the page of the calendar over.

This past week was a confirmation of the thought that the most precious magic moments are often found in the ordinary happenings of an ordinary day.  My Mother’s day celebrations carried over into last week. One daughter who was unable to be here on that day had said she would try to make it “some day”.  She kept her word and came one afternoon laden down with a bouquet of lilacs from her yard. I have always loved lilacs, perhaps because my parents always had a lilac bush and the fragrance is so uplifting.  I had a lilac bush in my back yard when I moved here and enjoyed it immensely, but it was suffering from old age and finally gave up the struggle. She also had a bouquet of white and red roses, from her homestead, in memory of our wedding anniversary. My wedding flowers were white and red roses. To complete her armful, she had fresh asparagus from their garden.  It sure has canned and even so called “fresh” from the grocery store beat.  But more precious than the things she brought were the one on one hours that we enjoyed during an otherwise ordinary afternoon.

Another daughter, who was here with part of her family on Sunday, called and said she wanted to treat my sister-in-law and me to a special evening and suggested that we meet her at her work place in Bryan and we would attend the showing of  Heaven Is For Real at the local theater. So we arrived at the appointed hour with our bag for free popcorn in hand for the five o’clock showing.  We almost had the theater to ourselves. It is a very enjoyable movie, but quite different than what I had imagined.  The little boy who had a major role was a phenomenal actor and the whole movie motivated deep spiritual thinking. Following the movie we enjoyed a meal at a local restaurant with an equal amount of pleasure from the conversation and just being with family.  Indeed two very special days with many magic moments.

I thought that my little friend had abandoned me because things have been quite orderly around here except she never put my car away on Saturday evening. Imagine my surprise on Sunday morning when I was ready to leave for church and  I saw it in the driveway with all windows steamed over. Now I came to my computer to do this and she apparently had my recipes again.  So back to my church cook books.
           
TURKEY JUMBLE
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound macaroni
6 green onions
16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon cooking oil
 ½ cup chopped celery
½ cup green pepper, (optional)
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste or other seasonings 
Boil and drain macaroni. Pour over mixed vegetables. Set aside. Stir fry ground turkey, onions, celery, until meat is thoroughly cooked. Add and stir fry mixed vegetables until heated through and lightly browned. Cover ingredients with grated cheese. Cover pan and heat on low until cheese is melted.

The next recipe is one that I did not believe, but it is in the same cookbook twice! It reminds me of something we might have had during the depression days and had to manage on what we had to fill up a large family. Or maybe during fast days or just when there was no meat available.  I may try it, but it will be when I think I need to do some penance and maybe will be surprised that it is not so bad after all.
         
CABBAGE and NOODLES
I head of cabbage, shredded
1 bag ( 16 oz.) noodles
1 large onion
1 stick butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in skillet. Saute onion until transparent. Add shredded cabbage and cool until wilted. Cook noodles and add to skillet. Heat through, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment