Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wedding Magic! 4/18/13




Magic. Magic. Magic.  That is the best word that I can think of to describe the past weekend.  On Saturday, one of my grandsons, presently working for American Airlines in Dallas, Texas, became a married man. The wedding was in the St. Francis of Assisi church in Columbus Ohio. All of my kids and their spouses, a number of grandkids, nieces and nephews, etc. attended.
Since I was invited to the rehearsal dinner, we left home early Friday afternoon.  A number of the relatives were at the hotel on Friday night, where we gathered in the Hospitality Room until the wee hours of the morning.  Those that came Saturday morning stayed overnight and we repeated the same agenda. The wedding was at a small church but was completely filled for a beautiful ceremony, followed by an evening reception.  Best wishes to Matt and Wendy for a long, happy life together filled with an everlasting love for each other.

Other than having all of my kids and their spouses present was the renewing of the friendships of my son’s Delta co-workers of the past and his Vietnam friends who have remained in contact, some very closely, from California,  Arizona, Pittsburg, etc. All of them were very kind to me.   To me the love and friendship of the weekend was indescribable. A number of us met again on Sunday morning for breakfast for one more sharing of joy for the newlyweds and renewing long term friendships. It was an awesome weekend, climaxed with attendance at Mass at the St. Brigid Church which was a great contrast, since St. Frances Church held only a few hundred, this one had a capacity of 1500 serving 3000 families.  Both were beautiful churches and it was a special blessing to attend both.



The only drawback to a perfect celebration was the fact that last Sunday I had the misfortune of injuring my left knee as I was getting into my car to leave the Senior Saints luncheon at our local church.  Since then I have been wearing a what I call a “Velcro Cast” and walking with a walker. This morning I have an appointment with my family doctor to see if it is healing as we hope.  Like I think it was Lincoln said about being poor, “It is no disgrace, but it is darned inconvenient.”  It has certainly slowed me down. On the positive side has been the assistance with meals, transportation, and general concern and attention from my family.

After being gone for three days, I need to get back to the reality of demands of the normal day and planning meals.  I found several recipes that I think you should try. So I will draw two out of the possible choices and hopefully still remember where the rest are next week.  Guess I will start with one that was suggested as a substitute or variation of our usual mashed potatoes.
  
MUSHROOM POTATO BAKE
2 ½  to 3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
½ pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, divided
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Cover potatoes with water, add salt, and boil for 15 minutes, or until tender. Saute onions and in butter for3 minutes, just until tender. Drain and mash. Do not add  butter nor milk. Stir into potatoes, along with sour cream, pepper and salt. Spoon into  a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and butter. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.

Here is an apple salad recipe that is quite different from the one I make most of the time, but sounds just as tasty and different.
               
HONEY APPLE SALAD
3 ½ cups diced red apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups green grapes
1 cup thinly sliced celery
½ cup chopped dates
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons sour cream
½ cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
Toss apples with lemon juice. Add grapes, celery and dates. Combine mayonnaise, honey, sour cream and salt. Pour over apples and toss to coat. Add walnuts.

May your week be filled with magic moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment