Thursday, June 26, 2014

Rita's Local Restaurant Magic 6/12/14

King's Hawaiian Mini Baked Ham Sandwiches

Tonight I am reaching for the stars.  Hopefully a magic thought comes racing by.  Something unusual happened this weekend that was a new experience to me. Saturday was the start of an unusual happening when I met with 7 of my farm oriented friends for our Farm Bureau Council monthly get together at our local restaurant. The meeting has changed immensely in the 65 years that we have been meeting to discuss the various farm issues and local things that we would like to improve.  We went from at least 12 couples and probably that many kids that met in our homes once a month on Friday or Saturday evening down to 8 people that meet on Saturday at noon to cover the older age problems of diet restrictions plus the hustle and bustle of entertaining in  our homes and night driving.  

Sunday morning after the usual church attendance and social gathering at coffee and rolls in the church hall, I was home only an hour when my phone rang.  It was a daughter-in-law who wanted me to go to Rita’s (the same local restaurant) for lunch with her.  Now any mother-in-law would be pleased to get such a call, so in less time than you can skin a cat, I was on my way with her back to the restaurant with the special request that I be home in time for a mid afternoon appointment. So far so good.

My appointment was to attend calling hours for an almost lifelong friend who had answered God’s supreme call. We had been school mates, road on the same bus, co-workers for the same company for 20 years, shared the same aunt and uncle though we were not relatives. He and his sister were attendants at our wedding. He was part of a trio of special friends during high school with my husband. We spent many evenings square dancing away the evenings at youth groups and square dances where he was the “dance caller”. Oh yes, lifelong friendships are right next to family. To soften the harsh part of death of a friend the enjoyment of visiting with his family, sisters, and many nieces and nephews that have scattered away from our great hometown made it a “glorious” occasion. Frosting on the occasion was the time I spent with another co-worker (of nearly 20 years). We only got started reminiscing and promised that we would finish in the near future.  Rest in Peace, Don, or “Muggs” as we affectionately knew him. Where that came from, I have no idea.

My sister-in-law and I were both a bit concerned making the drive ourselves, so we shed a few light tears and begged a ride with my two daughters and a son-in-Law. One daughter was in a hurry to get home, so we left  her out on a street corner and guess what!!  The rest of us ended up at Rita’s for supper!  That made three meals there in two days. That was quite a record for someone who averages twice in a month.

To brighten a day last week, one of my daughters appeared at my front door with a covered plate in her hand. She has discovered a new way to make super-duper ham sandwiches and she had brought me two warm, ready-to-eat sandwiches.  The irony of the situation was that while she was still at the front door, my friends were picking me up at the back door to, yes, we were going to Rita’s. I did not refuse them. I ate one for a pre-supper snack and ate the other one as my evening meal with the promise that she would give me the recipe to use this week for you.
When I saw it I was not surprised that the roll used for the sandwich was the favorite of mine- KING’S HAWAIIAN Dinner Rolls. Soooo gooood!
                        
MINI BAKED HAM SANDWICHES
1 pound deli shaved ham
1 pound Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1½ sticks butter
1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1½ teaspoon minced dried onion
1 12- pack KING’S HAWAIIAN Sweet Dinner Rolls
Melt butter and mix in mustard, sauce and onion. Cut the entire pack of rolls in half, keeping all top and bottom halves in tact. In a 9 x 13 pan, place bottom half of rolls and cover with ham and cheese. Cover ham and cheese stacks with top half of rolls. Drizzle butter mixture over top of rolls, making sure onion is evenly distributed. Refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Separate for serving.
                        
CABBAGE AND BEEF CASSEROLE
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 can tomato soup
Brown beef and onion. Drain and season to taste. Spread into baking dish. Top with shredded cabbage. Pour tomato soup on top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment