Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Family - God's Greatest Creation 10/25/12



Family has always taken a great priority with me. Even when I was very young, nothing was greater than when my cousins whom I did not see but a few times each year, came to visit my grandparents and often came to our house.  Since my parents came from families of 6 and seven siblings there was always a multitude whenever we had a family gathering.  That also provided me with numerous aunts and uncles, each very special their own personalities and their association with me personally and my family. These aunts and uncles were always the focus of attention and special to us at all family gatherings.  Now guess who is the old generation!  My how time changes things. Then when my own family turned out to be the magic number of nine, family necessarily became very important.

This is all leading up to a great day a week ago Saturday when my father’s family had their annual family reunion  at my nephew’s home. Steve and Barb graciously agreed to entertain us at their home when providing insurance each year for the use of the Miller Park facilities became a problem.  A fantastic day with hay rides, bonfire, trips to the Jennings addition of the Farnham cemetery where 6 generations are buried, yard games, rides in a delicate conditioned covered wagon were all on the planned agenda.  Not to mention a fantastic meal with lots of good Jennings cooking. We forgot to consult the weather man when we moved it ahead two weeks to guarantee a nicer day.  But it takes more than a few showers and wind to spoil a day of enjoying family for the ones who came from Lafayette, Indianapolis, Elkhart, Warsaw and a lot of us from more local destinations.  Oh yes, I need to mention a guest from Africa!  Elsie, the exchange student who is making her home with my daughter and son-in-law gets the prize for coming the greatest distance!  Let’s not mention who was the oldest!!  I won’t offer a prize for guessing that in two guesses!  Thanks again to Steve and Barb for their hospitality, extra work and expense of being our hosts. We agreed to come back next year hoping for nicer weather.

I hope you are proud of me because I still know where my book and recipes are that I promised to use this week.  I was going to say I am proud of myself, but my mother’s voice rang loud and clear in my hearing aid improved ears that “Pride goeth before a fall” and “Self praise stinks!” So maybe we should just say I still have it nearby.

I have never mastered beef roasts but this sounds simple enough I am going to try it. So you will be on your own. I may have to call you for advice! The only problem is that is serves eight, so I would be eating it for a week. Since it calls for two roasts it would be easy to diminish it for your needs.
             
COFFEE-FLAVORED BEEF ROAST
6 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 beef sirloin roasts, 2 to 3 pounds each
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
2 cups fresh mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups brewed coffee
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons corn starch
¼ cup cold water
Place potatoes and carrots in a 6 quart slow cooker.  Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker. In the same skillet, sauté onion in the drippings. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the coffee, chili powder and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over the meat. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low heat or until meat is tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices, and transfer to a small pan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the hot water. Cook until thickened. Serve with the meat and vegetables. I think these rolls would complement the roast.

             
PARMESAN KNOTS
1 tube (12 oz.) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
¼ cup canola oil
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Cut each biscuit into thirds, Roll each piece a 3 inch rope. Tie into a knot, tucking the ends under. Place 2 inches apart on a  greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the cheese, garlic powder, oregano and parsley. Add the warm knots and gently toss to coat.

There is also an interesting peach pie recipe that I will save for another day. Peach pie is one of my favorites and this one is different than any I have ever tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment