Monday, January 13, 2014

Snow Days 1/9/14


Hope you missed both The Earth and Magic Moments during our vacation time.  Certainly glad that I have the blessing of the modern technology needed to just hit “send” and this is delivered to the downtown office and do not have to think about hand delivering it in the morning,  Isn’t this storm something to mess up your schedule?  Last week was a dress rehearsal for this week, because I was not away from the house from last Saturday until this weekend.  From the looks of my driveway right now it may be spring before I get out. So it is a good thing that I have nothing scheduled on my social calendar for a number of days.

My kids have been reminiscing about the times that we were snowed in on the farm and hosted neighborhood gatherings (mostly all relatives) featuring homemade pancakes for anyone who could get to our home.  Those days were enjoyed by us and the neighbors so much that I secretly decided that they were praying regularly for a snow storm. One daughter told me last week that if I were lonesome that I should just make up a batch of pancakes and someone would stop in.  I tried it, but guess what.  I had to eat them all by myself!

I just noticed a different soup recipe that I think I will try tomorrow and maybe it will have better results than my pancakes did. A cousin featured a recipe on Facebook that really interested me. Do you think if I do a pot of soup and end up with her fabulously simple great dessert it will bring someone to see me? Think I will try it.
                        
TWO POTATO SOUP
½ pound small unpeeled red potatoes
½ pound medium russet potatoes
1 can (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
1 cup water
¼ cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ cup milk
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
3 tablespoons cream cheese, cubed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Cut potatoes into bite size chunks. Place in a large saucepan. Add broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for ten minutes or until almost tender. Meanwhile, sauté onion in oil until tender and add to potatoes. In a small bowl, combine flour milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Add to the potato mixture. Bring to a boil, cook and stir until thickened. Reduce heat, stir in cream cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Garnish with Swiss cheese.
            
MIRACLE CHEESECAKE PIE
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 carton (8 oz.) whipped topping
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/3 cup lemon juice
Prepared graham cracker crust
Soften cream cheese. Add whipped topping and sweetened condensed milk. Mix with hand mixer on low speed until well blended. Add lemon juice and immediately pour into  crust. Top with more whipped topping.  If desired you can use an Oreo crust and garnish with cookies.


May the blessings of a great Christmas celebration remain with you and your families throughout 2014.

1 comment:

  1. I will attest to the fact that this is indeed "Miracle" Cheescake pie. You will think that you died and went to heaven.
    Jude

    ReplyDelete