Monday, March 30, 2015

Lenten Kindness 2/25/15

My heart usually sings a merry tune when February is over. To me that means that winter is on its way out!  I certainly hope that the weather man cooperates with my thinking. We have had enough snow for one winter, but can count our blessings that we are not in Boston. I have been house bound so much this winter I feel that I should wear a name tag whenever I go to the grocery store. I have been attending church on Saturday night so many times I am afraid they have assigned my usual seat on Sunday morning to someone else.

Magic was pretty scarce at my house this week except for a surprise visit from my farmer and his wife and the kindness of neighbors who kept my sidewalk and driveway cleared.  I used to enjoy doing it myself but those days are behind me. Also, this year the drifts were too deep for my little snow “pusher” to make any impression.

This is the season of Lent.  Remember that it is more important than what you give up and do not do. We will be judged also on what we do for others in need and if we treat those with whom we come in contact and family members with honesty and kindness.

Since I am out of magical happenings and still have to do several things yet this evening, (I got my nose in a book and couldn’t get it out so a few necessities just stayed undone) guess we well turn to recipes.  How about a couple of casseroles that will carry us through the remaining cold days?
            
HAMBURGER SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
1 pound hamburger
1 ½ cup cooked spaghetti
1 can tomato soup
1 small onion chopped
12 slices Velveeta cheese
2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown onion and hamburger. Cook spaghetti and drain. Add spaghetti, soup, 6 slices of cheese and seasonings to hamburger. Stir until cheese melts. Put in casserole dish with 6 slices of cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
            
BAKED CHICKEN CASSEROLE
2 cups diced cooked chicken
2 cups diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped onion
½ cup chopped toasted almonds
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ cup water chestnuts, sliced
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
potato chips, crushed
Combine all ingredients except cheese and chips. Place in small buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese and crushed chips. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.


Keep smiling, spring is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment