Monday, June 2, 2014

Just Good Cookin' 5/8/14

What a beautiful day Sunday has been.  Maybe this is a sign of more improved weather forecasts that should be coming. Only one problem I can notice, the weeds are responding as well as the green grass.

While I have it on my mind, I should start with fantastic good wishes for all of you mothers on your day next weekend.  When my kids were very young, my doctor asked me if I could pick a favorite age, what would it be.  I answered that all phases of life have special merits and I did not want to miss any of them. I think I am of a certified age to make the statement that being a mother is the best blessing that God has given us. Besides being the best, it is one of the longest privileges (lifetime) that can be ours.  If you average all of the heartaches, disappointments, worries, difficult days and prayers with the joys, pride, unexpected challenges with positive results and great memories, being a mother still is the greatest creator of the best “magic moments”.

It is now too late to encourage you to do so, but I hope you all exercised your privilege and duty to vote in the Primary Election. Besides voting, be an informed voter not a prejudiced one!

I had two magic moments this past week!  How could I be so lucky? My friend who volunteered to pick me up for our monthly Home Extension meetings in Indiana had other obligations and could not attend.  I do not drive after night to things that far from Edgerton, so the president of our club volunteered to go way, way out of her way to come after me. That deemed necessary the return trip which multiplied the sacrifice for her.  Since we have so many members who are generous, they must have had good mothers, one who would be going less out of her way volunteered to bring me home! Magic moments indeed.

I hope I am not the only older lady who has things and puts them where she knows where they are only to never see them again. I do remember that I had them!  While searching for an item that I knew I had and needed, I was desperately looking in all odd places which included all of the shelves and dishes in the china closet.  Glory be, tucked in behind a favorite dish was a small envelope that miraculously held a generous gift certificate for our local grocery store that was a Christmas gift from a grandson and his wife.  It was Christmas all over again.  Thanks again, Matt and Wendy.

Looks as if it is time to go to food.  I picked out recipes from a cook book that was a gift to me in 1995, “JUST GOOD COOKIN”, so both of them should be family tested.
                        
SWEET AND SOUR PORK
2 ½ cups pork, lean and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 ½ cups diced green peppers
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Pepper to taste
1 ¾  cups water
½ cup raisins
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
I cup raw rice
Brown meat in oil. Add garlic salt, pepper and water. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes or until pork is tender. Mix sugar and cornstarch, vinegar, water, soy sauce, green peppers and raisins.  Cook, uncovered until thickened, stirring just enough to keep from sticking. Cook rice according to package instructions. Serve 2/3 cup sauce over ½ cup rice.
                        
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
½ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ stick butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix mashed sweet potatoes, flour, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, and pecans. Add milk and vanilla. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and garnish with pecan halves, if desired.


Remember to remember your mother in a special way this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment