Monday, June 2, 2014

Mother's Day Magic 5/15/14

It’s nearing my bedtime at the end of a busy, special day.  There is the temptation to just call it a day, but when I do that I spend a sleepless night, with my mind trying to formulate a plan for my thoughts on Monday morning. So here goes a forced attempt to fill my obligations to my commitment for a weekly chat with you. Don’t call me before nine tomorrow because I will not hear the phone.

Hope your Mother’s Day was all that you hoped it would be with a surprise or two tucked into your day. So many of my family have several places they should and want to be, so the last one to be heard from just checked in with a phone call from Texas.  My very pleasant surprise was a first visit from one of my new great-grandchildren and the second time I had seen him.  The first was a brief visit from me while he was still in the hospital after his birth. He didn’t seem to recognize me nor be too impressed with his visit but I was a very happy grandma.  Glad that he brought his parents and grandparents along with him.

To add to and complicate the day was the special recognition of the members of St. Mary’s Church that are graduating from high school in a few weeks. All of my grandkids have graduated and I am starting on a long list of greats who will be reaching this special achievement in their lives.  I was blessed to have a great-granddaughter among the graduates and was invited to be seated with her immediate family for the special liturgy.  Following that they and their families were guests of the Altar Society and the Knights of Columbus.  Following the festivities, I gave my special graduate some private advice and ensuing threats if not taken.  It is best that they are not printed here, but I bet she will remember them!  Good luck, Hannah, and may your dreams of the future come true.

Since it was a special day and I thought I might have company, I hid a few things. It looks as if I really moved the recipe I had saved for this week.  So I did locate my trusty 4 item and simple directions book. I didn’t know there are so many ways to make a hamburger, but both of these are quite easy and can be prepared in a quick manner.
               
SALISBURY STEAK
1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg
1 medium onion, chopped
1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in ½ cup water
Mix beef, egg and onion. Shape into patties and brown over high heat. Drain off any fat. Pour in bouillon and simmer uncovered until desired doneness.
                        
BEEF PATTIES
1 pound ground chuck
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons onion, minced
2 tablespoons butter
Mix beef, potatoes, onions and form into 4 to 6 patties. Brown In butter until desired doneness.

Oh, yes, here is a recipe I came across from a niece of mine which her mother gave to me years ago.  I thought it was like one I had been making and just put it in with my extra recipes. I was downsizing some of the “stuff” in my cabinet and noticed that it was different from one I had with the same title. This reinforced my thinking that the person who does not read is no better off than the person who CAN’T read. Since they are all short I will include that one also, since right now I know where it is!
            
DALENE’S  CHERRY DELIGHT
1 stick butter
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup crushed soda crackers
1 can cherry pie filling
Combine butter, flour, sugar, coconut and crackers. Place ¾ of mixture in bottom of a 9 inch square pan. Add can of cherry pie filling. Top with remainder of mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Remember to be nice to your mother, even though it is not her special day. Give her the credit due for making you the fantastic person that you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment