Thursday, June 26, 2014

Keep Smiling 6/5/14

KEEEP SMILING
The whole world looks so dreary
When you always wear a frown,
Droop your shoulders, drag your feet
And walk with eyes cast down.

The more you let them worry you
The bigger troubles seem
Until you feel that your life is
Just one big ugly dream.

You cannot see the sunshine
If you always watch your feet
So turn your face towards heaven
And see that life is sweet.

Though there may be by your path
Weeds that mar the view
But if you are looking up ahead
They'll not be seen by you.

When you begin to wonder
if your ship will sail or sink
Just look up at the sun
And watch your troubles shrink.

So with a smile upon your face,
Instead of a gloomy frown,
Fasten your eyes on the sun and stars
And the world can't keep you down.

October 10, 1944

After the overloaded schedule last weekend, this has been one where I felt like I was a lonely little petunia in an onion patch! In a way it has been a refreshing and rehabilitating experience.
In my reading prior to the beginning of the Sunday liturgy, I noticed a statement that some experiences of life are “glorious” moments.  I would put that above 'magic ones”!   Such an event was last week at my great granddaughter’s graduation ceremony.  As a class officer she was asked to read a poem. As kids often do she went to her grandmother asking if she had a poem that would be appropriate.  As she answered in the affirmative, many secret maneuvers were put in place. Most family members knew about the chosen one but they kept me out of the informed loop. Imagine my inner reaction at the first line when I recognized one that I had written many years ago when I was working at the Magnavox Company Production Control Office in Ft. Wayne, before my marriage. Thanks to you , Hannah, for allowing me to experience a “glorious” moment. The poem, Keep Smiling, is posted at the top. 

I have written many more than I kept, but some of my kids do have a copy of some of them.  We found one that I wrote when I was a Senior in Edgerton High School  as an English assignment that was a “tribute to my mother” in my Dad’s things at the time of his death in 1967. Now that I am older and smarter, I think, I wished I had collected all of my writings.  It would have been something else for my kids to discard when I move on to the next step in life.

When searching for this week’s recipes, I found one that is completely new to me, but has all things in it that I like. So why wouldn’t it be a good way to start the day, especially since you can prepare it the night before?
          
RUEBEN BRUNCH BAKE
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (14.5 oz.) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
1 package ( 2 ½  oz.) deli corned beef
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon suggested)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 slices rye bread, toasted and coarsely chopped
¼ cup melted butter
Combine eggs, sauerkraut, cheese, beef cut into 1 inch pieces, onions, milk, mustard and seasoning. Pour into a greased  11 x 7 inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Toss toasted  pieces of bread and the butter. Sprinkle over the casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Here is another new one to me but is very seasonal.
       
RHUBARB BREAD PUDDING
8 slices bread, lightly toasted
1 ½ cups milk
¼ cup butter
5 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 ½ cups sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar
Remove crusts from bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place into 1 ½ quart baking dish. Heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Stir in butter until it melts. Pour over bread. Let stand for15 minutes. Combine eggs, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir into bread mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve warm.

May your week be filled with many magic moments with a couple of glorious ones added for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment