Friday, November 7, 2014

Magic, Magic, Magic 10/23/14

Magic! Magic! Magic! Last week was full of magic! Some of it began with the magic of the weekend before when we had our family reunion. All but one present were descendants of my parents. We were the guests of Steve and Barb at their country home. Besides oodles of great food we were mesmerized by the presence of a beautiful team of horses who pulled a white, two-seated carriage that belongs to Steve for numerous rides down the country roads where we grew up. Last year my sister and I went on a ride, but this year we had no offers to get us in and then get us out when we got back, so we just enjoyed the delight of those who went for a ride. A little down the scale from that were hay rides on a wagon behind a tractor. The day ended with a bonfire. It was a great experience for all of us.

My next treatment of great magic starts way, way back. I have no real recollection of the year. A casual friend of mine became a widow. Her husband and son were two of “my farmers” from working at the elevator. Her son asked me to reach out to his mother during the difficult days following his death. Since it was so long ago some details are a bit sketchy but I will tell it as my memory dictates. A friend once told me I should write a book about my life. I was going to title it  “LIFE AS I REMEMBER IT”! That way no one would contradict me. Now back to my original story. I think we went out to lunch a time or so, then she asked me if I would go with her on a bus trip. I readily agreed and we went to Renfro Valley, Kentucky. Possibly a year ago, a friend of hers got the Edgerton Earth and then gave it to a friend to read.  They both know my daughter, Becky. This friend down the line wanted to meet me from reading Magic Moments! Plans became concrete and last Tuesday was the day.

Becky and I were to be at Rita’s for lunch at 11:30 to meet the two friends whom I had never met. Hazel was on the bus trip but I could not recall a person to go with the name. I was a bit insecure as we entered the restaurant, because I could not imagine why anyone would have a desire to meet ME. After all I am only a farm girl with mud on my shoes, who raised a fantastic bunch of kids in a farm home and likes to write.  What if I did not measure up to their expectations.  We decided to go a few minutes early to be welcoming committee.  Guess what.  They were both seated, waiting patiently on us.  After polite introductions, my admirer reached under the table and brought out four beautiful long stemmed roses, each tied with a lovely ribbon.  She handed them to me and said, “Pick one and give it to Becky and say something nice about her. Then she did the same to the one next to her.  It was a very unique and meaningful gesture and broke the ice of unfamiliarity. After hours of stories and laughter, we looked around and all of the lunch crowd had come and gone.  The waitress was running the carpet sweeper around us.  Of course, we had made no mess. I glanced at my watch and would not believe that it was two o’clock!

My new friend was so excited to be eating with a celebrity.  I felt as if I were the one who was with a celebrity since both she and her husband were elementary school teachers. I am certain that they both affected many lives. Thanks to my new friends, Hazel and Kay and to my original friend Dorothy for hours of magic and great enjoyment. Hazel had a picture of me with Dorothy from the trip that really dates it. Not one gray hair shows up on my head!

Now it is time for recipes. A year or so ago my church published a cook book. I was glancing through it and I noticed a couple apple recipes that are real timely.  The first one is from my sister who gave it to me for anyone who is watching their sugar intake.  So I had better give her credit because she will recognize it.
       
SUGAR FREE BAKED APPLES
5 apples
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
½ cup Splenda
2 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Chopped English walnuts
Peel and slice  or quarter apples. Combine water, Splenda, cinnamon and tapioca. Pour over apples. Microwave on high for 10 to 20 minutes until apples are tender. Remove microwave and add nuts.  I add this to my oatmeal after it is cooked.

Donna Lingvai submitted a recipe that fascinated me. Will try it with some of my apples.
          
APPLE DAPPLE CRUMB PIE
5 apples peeled and sliced
1 cup flour
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter, cut in slices
Lightly grease bottom of pie pan. Cover bottom with apple slices. Mix together flour, sugars, and butter. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

(I would like ice cream  on this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment