Monday, October 20, 2014

Pudding Cookies 10/16/14

Yikes!!  Here we have used up half of a new month. That means winter is closer and I am not ready for any more snow! Hope the weather forecasters don’t know what they are talking about and it won’t be another one like last year. I should be like my brother told me once in his slow laid back manner, “Don’t get excited until you see you have a real reason to be!”  So I guess I will just enjoy the nice fall days that we have still coming.

Today was a real empty day after a weekly schedule that I could barely keep up with.  It started with a lovely lunch at the Senior Center for all of the October anniversaries and birthdays. Since I was an honored guest with a birthday, it was extra special.  I keep thinking that I should go more often but I do not know today that I want to go tomorrow, so I can’t make a reservation! Besides that program is for OLD folks!!  My thanks go to all involved with that program and Hillside Living for providing games and prizes.

When I got home I had a phone call from my daughter who wanted to come to my house on Friday during her lunch hour to pick up a photo that she needed. I quickly said I would be home. Then she hesitatingly asked if I could also have 4 dozen rolled and cut out heart cookies made for a retreat she was planning. Her lunch hour is late and I could easily have them baked, frosted and packaged for her to pick up. The big bump in the road came when I remembered that I had a 10:30 appointment the next day for a perm!  I suddenly shifted gears and baked the cookies late Thursday evening, got up earlier than planned on Friday morning to get them frosted. Guess what. I was at my appointment one minute early! Came home and had them in plastic containers for her to pick up. Now time for relaxing in my new lounge chair. Rest time was quite short because I had made plans with another daughter and her husband to go to Angola to see my cousin who is a resident of Lakeside Nursing Home. They were going to pick me up shortly after three! We had a very nice visit with my cousin and her daughter, even though we stayed longer than we had planned because it was nearly time for her evening meal. To finish the evening we did some shopping and had a nice meal at Ruby Tuesday. By the time we got home it was nearly bedtime so I could not start anything that I had already ignored doing. It was a good day, but Saturday morning I had to fix food for my family reunion that could make a whole column of magic moments, which I will have to leave for another day. Thanks to Steve and Barb for all of their work and expense.

I changed my mind four times about recipes, but think I have settled on a couple. First, you have heard that you should put your actions where  your mouth is. Last week I mentioned that you should teach your young kids to do simple recipes, so they will be proud of their accomplishment and develop a desire to learn more difficult projects. So first of all is a recipe that you can start them on. Maybe you will like to try it just because it is so simple.
                        
PUDDING COOKIES
1 package (3 oz.) instant chocolate pudding
1 cup biscuit mix (Bisquick)
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
Hershey’s chocolate kisses
Extra sugar
Mix pudding, biscuit mix, oil and egg. Shape into I inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees. As soon as they come from the oven, place a Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie. You could experiment with different flavored pudding, like vanilla.

Next is a simple meat loaf recipe.  I had an unusual one picked out but decided I should try it myself before suggesting it to you.
            
SIMPLE MEAT LOAF
1 ½  pounds ground beef
¾ cup oatmeal
2 eggs
½ cup chopped onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
¼ cup barbecue sauce
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup tomato juice
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Pack firmly into a loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.


Tomorrow (after I sleep in) I will try to put the place back in a small degree of order.  After church today, I hid a few things, washed a few dishes and made my bed, so in case someone stopped in they would not report me to the health authorities. I can always plead that “it is just the way I like it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment