Friday, November 7, 2014

Happy 90th Birthday Magic Maxine! 10/30/14


Maxine with chidren and spouses
Wow!!  What a magical celebration! Many thanks to all of my kids (and their spouses) for the many hours of planning and work involved in making my 90th birthday so memorable. Also, thanks to those of you who took time to attend the open house.  No matter how much planning, work and expense you put into it, a party will not be a success if you have no people with which to share.  I am very humbled by the number of people who came, their kind words and the few tears that were shed. My only regret was that I was not able to spend more time with each of you.

The day started with worshipping together at 8:30, followed by a sit down dinner for nearly 90 close relatives in the church hall. Here I was eulogized by three daughters and one son which caused a few tears to drip on my shoulders. Following a delicious but simple dinner a sharp command by a daughter that they had less than a half hour to be ready for the open house. Without any complications a bit of magic took place and the hall turned into a party room! 

Things started happening on Thursday when I heard a rap on my front door. The UPS man was leaving and there was good sized package on the porch. I had not ordered anything and hurriedly tore open the box.  Imagine my bewilderment when I saw a huge bouquet of Stargazer Lilies with a lovely vase included. Now I was more bewildered.  Inside was a note that they were from my computer only connection with a now friend in Oslo, Norway! They are now opening into something spectacular. I had never seen any before and they are indeed lovely.  Thank you, Siri Anne.
Maxine with Stargazer lillies

After we (I should say “they”)  had everything packed up and removed, my son asked if it were okay if some of them came to my house. I readily agreed and about a dozen relatives came and they ordered pizza. So my party ended about 9:30 and I immediately fell into bed. What a celebration. Thanks to all of you who helped make it so fantastic.

I had a favorable comment from a reader about last week’s Apple crumb pie. Since I have no recipes selected and the same book is opened at my computer, I will select another one from it. Hope you and I are lucky with this week’s selection. I have heard of people freezing the makings for an apple pie, but I have never tried it.  Let's all do a few. Will save time when you decided to quickly produce one.
            
APPLE PIE FILLING
6 apples peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ to 1 cup sugar
Mix and place in a zip lock freezer bag. Place in freezer until ready to use.
            
CHUCK WAGON BEANS
2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
2 pounds bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup catsup
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
½ cup brown sugar
1 can pork and beans
1 can lima beans
1 can butter beans
I can kidney beans
Put in crock pot, stir together and  summer.


My thanks to Diane Beverly and Lavern Goebel for the recipes and to all of you who made my celebration so unforgettable.

Kenny's kids and spouses

Grandkids of Russell Jennings

Some grands and greats

Max and Kork

Judy's family

Kork and family

No comments:

Post a Comment