Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Happy 24th Magic Moments 9/18/14


Guess what happened between last week’s Magic Moments and this week. We passed the 24th anniversary of me trying my ability to write a newspaper column!  Shall we try for 25? If God grants me that many days and keeps my mind at least fairly in good working order we will see what happens. A great big thank you to you readers who have expressed enjoyment from it and appreciation for some good recipes.

The clock on the wall is registering a very late hour. So I have the dilemma of just going to bed and getting up early, or struggling to keep awake and then retiring with a clear agenda and sleeping later in the morning. Unless I go to sleep and fall off my computer chair, I think I will do this in the wee hours of the morning.  I have a stupid reason for all of this.  This week one of my daughters was here when I was on a social call and left me a box of books.  She recommended a particular novel that was easy reading. I seem to have this peculiar characteristic of not being able to put down a book once I start reading it.  It was a short novel (I thought) but it took me several hours longer than  intended, so now I will have to suffer the consequences of my poor decision.

I really am not ready for chilly weather.  It brings back too many memories of last winter’s snow. I did weaken and turn on my heat the other morning. I have this other odd conception of life, “ If I have a nickel, I am going to be warm."  I looked in my purse and there were 2 quarters in it so I turned up the thermostat and enjoyed every degree.

Even with the price of food rising so dramatically, I do hate to quit eating. I will assume that you are on the same page and will send you some more recipes. We will start with a simple to make one, followed by  a nice rich, ooey, gooey, dessert.
                    
POOR MAN’S STEAK
2 pounds hamburger
2/3 cup of cracker crumbs
2/3 cup of water
1 can mushroom or chicken soup
½ cup water
Salt, pepper,  garlic or onion powder to taste
Mix hamburger, cracker crumbs, water and seasonings. Pat into a square pan. Put in refrigerator for several hours. Cut into squares. Roll in flour and brown in skillet. Cover with soup mixed with ½ cup water. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
            
FAVORITE LAYERED SQUARES
½ cup melted butter
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 ½ cups flaked coconut
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup butterscotch chips
10 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped pecans
Pour melted butter into a 9 x 13 pan. Press crumbs into butter. Layer the coconut, baking chips, milk and pecans over the crumbs. Do not mix the layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. As squares cool, loosen the edges, so the milk does not stick to the pan. Refrigerate until needed. Cut into squares.


In case you are lucky to have a one pound Tupperware Cheese Keeper (I found one at a garage sale) it will keep two opened  chunk cheese packages in perfect condition until you have used all of it.  I have, in the past, had to throw away too much of it because It was not rewrapped securely enough.  That will help save nickels so you can turn your heat on earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment