Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Impromptu Magic 3/27/14


Saturday an unexpected turn of events turned out to be a very pleasant, magical one.  For the first time in about three months, I was like a teenager who had just gotten his driver’s license, when I drove myself to the beauty shop. This was from health issues and too much snow and ice!! So being on a longer leash I went from the beauty salon to the post office, to Kaiser’s, then a “short cut” to Dollar General before arriving at my home.  I ignored the dishes in the sink, and a few other noticeable shortcomings of perfect housekeeping.  I settled myself in my new chair with the daily paper which had two cross word puzzles that needed to be solved.  I was interrupted with the phone ringing.  One of my daughters was in Bryan with two of her grandkids, a close friend and her daughter.  They were going to Auburn to shop for jewelry at a store with which I have been very happy.  They wanted some directions about the store and since they would be coming through Edgerton could they stop here for lunch?

This can throw a curve to a little old lady that lives by herself and eats whatever and whenever the spirit moves her.  I said “Gee, that will take some thinking!”  To this she quickly suggested how about grilled cheese and tomato soup? Since I do keep a well stocked pantry cupboard, I knew I had everything to fill that order.  When I asked how much time I had she replied that they were in Bryan and however long it took them to drive here!

At this point I put into action my experience of a lifetime of dealing with the present trials with the circumstances and products that are available. While at the store I had purchased two packages of lovely strawberries and some instant chocolate pudding.  I quickly fixed the pudding, sliced the strawberries, covered them with glaze and filled crystal goblets with both covered with whipped topping, thinking I would let them chose which they preferred.  A good hint is that if you are not offering much put it in a pretty dish and it will be appreciated more. I had the bread out of the freezer, the soup on the stove, the cheese out of the refrigerator and the electric skillet plugged in when they arrived!  Two of them finished making the sandwiches, the two young girls set the table. (They demanded paper plates and plastic bowls and cups because they would not have time to do dishes.) Would you believe that everyone wanted both berries and pudding? It turned out to be a delightful experience, much better than a lot of long planned parties.   

Nete’s friend, Shelly whose daughter Emily is getting married in September, told me that her mother lives in Iowa and she somehow reads my column. When she comes here for the wedding she wants to meet me!!  Guess we will have to have another impromptu meal.

Let’s just stay on the food agenda.  Last week I tried the corn and broccoli sautéed in butter, threatening to take it to my sister if it was not good. The recipe called for mushrooms and I could not find any in my pantry, so I just ate it without any. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked it, so I kept most of it and took my intended broccoli soup to her with only a small sample of the vegetables.  The asparagus and carrots were on the acceptable list, too. (I ate them hot.)

While looking for a recipe for strawberry glaze for on the balance of my strawberries, I found one in a cookbook that my dad’s sister gave us for our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. While scanning through it I noticed an interesting dessert submitted by my dad’s sister.  Hope it interests some of you.
          
COCKTAIL DELIGHT
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
½  teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 well beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
I cup brown sugar
½ cup chopped walnuts, more if desired.
1 can (No. 2) fruit cocktail, partially drained
Sift together sugar, flour, soda and salt. Add beaten egg, vanilla and fruit.  Mix well. Put in buttered 8 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

Want a simple, quick idea for a meal?  I have never tried this one, but it is in a favorite recipe book I received from my mother’s cousin who is past 100 years old and is a resident of a nursing home in Angola.
          
CHICKEN BUNDLES
1 can crescent rolls
1 ½ oz. cream cheese
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon butter
1 cup diced, cooked chicken
1 teaspoon onion, fresh or dried
Divide rolls into squares and press the perforated edges together. Mix all other ingredients together. Divide evenly on the squares. Bring the dough to the top around the filling and seal. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes. This would be a good way to use left over chicken.


If you see any signs of spring, please share the good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment