Thursday, March 20, 2014

Magic Moments 3/20/14

My how fast the weeks go by!  Much faster than when I was a kid waiting for summer vacation and Christmas to come each year.  That should be some indication that I do not yet know what I am going to say to you this week. Let’s start by offering congratulations to the cast, directors and people back stage for the pleasant evening at the dinner theater presentation by our high school students.  Even though my age shows when I have to admit that many of the performers I did not know, I do appreciate the talent and the willingness to share that talent of our young people. For them to do this we also have to have the patience, willingness and unselfishness of directors, parents, stage hands, costume managers and all behind the scenes personnel.   A big “Thank You” to all, and a “Good Job” to all of the cast.

Congratulations to all members of the confirmation class at St. Mary’s Church on Sunday afternoon.  May you all keep your commitment throughout your life with God and His commandments as the center of all that you do.

When all else fails, we can talk about the weather. I was so excited the day it was above fifty degrees and I just knew winter was over.  After last week’s snow storm and the freezing weather this morning when I went out to church, I changed my mind.  The only encouraging sight that I can see (no it was not a robin) is the patch of ugly brown grass that is not covered with snow between my home and my next door neighbor!  I tremendously dislike the dead looking earth, suffering from the aspects of winter until God performs His magic and the world comes alive with all of the beauty of Spring (which is my favorite time of year). I will be patient and appreciate it fully when it does get here.

As I had no recipes stashed away to use, I was searching my array of cookbooks and I found some very unusual ones that I would have never put together.  Since it is Lent and we must do penance, perhaps you might try them with this thought in mind, secretly hoping that next week I go back to desserts. They are both something different to do with vegetables and they may interest you enough to try them.  I use lemon pepper on a majority of my vegetables and I thought I had next to invented something new!  Wrong.  The book I found them in is dated 1990!
                        
ASPARAGUS and BABY CARROTS
1 pound asparagus, steamed until crisp tender
½ pound small carrots, steamed until crisp tender
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Lemon pepper
Drain asparagus and carrots. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, sprinkle with lemon pepper and lemon juice.  Serve cold.  This is what I am going do with mine! While they are still hot, with the pepper and lemon juice I am going to add a large chunk of butter and eat it hot! Make your own decision.

The next one has possibilities, but I would have never on my own thought of combining them, but I do have all of them on hand. Tomorrow I will be brave and try it.  If I do not like it I am planning on taking my sister something that I know she wants. I may just change my plans and turn up at her back door with a smile on my face and a new vegetable in my hand. She wouldn’t dare say she didn’t like it, or would she?  Don’t bet any lunch money.
                                    
SAUTEED BROCCOLI
            
1 package (10 oz.)  frozen broccoli            
1 package (10 oz.)  frozen whole kernel corn
1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
½ cup butter
             
Melt butter. Saute broccoli, corn and mushrooms in butter until crisp tender. Season to taste. I would use lemon pepper!  Serve warm.
            
Remember Spring is really just around the corner. I sincerely hope so. Especially after I saw my last month’s heating bill. A few more months like that  and I won’t have to worry about the nursing home getting my money.  There won’t be any!   

No comments:

Post a Comment