Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Dress Shopping and Other Adventures 4/3/14

Can’t believe that we have used up another whole month already. Hope you got past the first day without doing anything too foolish.  Last week was a real blast for me. I extended myself to the limit.  On Tuesday I had a son and his grandson for lunch to celebrate his birthday.  Do not ask my great grandson how he likes my cooking, please!! I am sure he left feeling quite empty. I treated him like I did my own kids. I put a good meal on the table, if you do not like it, sorry, just wait until the next meal and try again. 

On Wednesday, my daughter brought a co-worker with her for her 20 minute lunch. I couldn’t fix anything that they had to chew so they could be out of here on time, but ended with their choice of apple or peach pie and ice cream. 

Thursday another daughter took me along to Ft. Wayne on a shopping trip so I could buy a dress to wear to a grandson‘s wedding this next weekend. Everything that I picked out as a possibility looked worse on me than it did on the hanger and that was not good.  After miles (I thought) of walking and trying on scads of dresses, finally, with Becky scrounging the store while I was in the fitting room, we came up with two I would consider and one that I maybe could be talked into.  The best part of the story was after the sale price and the discounts it was real bargain. After I got it home away from all of the other monstrosities, I am quite happy with it. After extra walking and energy expended, I told her I had reached my limit and sat in the car at the last stop she wanted to make. Besides all that and the Mother daughter party at church and the K of C Steak Fry on Saturday where they invite widows of former members, it was a real magic filled, if exhausting, week!

After fixing lunch for company, and a son stopping in for left-overs, I made a dessert salad for the Mother-Daughter party. It was appreciated by several daughters that were present and I promised to print it again this week. It was a magic moment that they read the column, besides liking my contribution to the meal.
            
ORANGE PINEAPPLE TORTE
20 graham crackers
½ cup butter
3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
14 ounces marshmallow cream
12 ounces whipped topping
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple
2 large cans mandarin oranges
1 ½ cup flaked coconut
Crush graham crackers and mix with melted butter.
Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Mix softened cream cheese, marshmallow cream and whipped topping. Drain fruit and fold into the mixture. Spread over crust . Top with coconut. Garnish with extra orange slices.  Chill at least 4 hours.  

I have this recipe marked “Good Stuff”.
(This is a large recipe. I use only two packages of cream cheese. It might be a good idea to experiment with only a half recipe for the first trial. It made a 9 x 13 dish and another smaller one.)

I was searching through a recipe file where I put some "I may want to try" recipes and thought this seems a different type of cookie that might interest you. The picture is enticing and it has a few of my favorite things in it.
            
CHOCOLATE CHIP TREASURE COOKIES
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated)
½ cup (I stick) butter, softened
1 1/3  cups flaked coconut
1 package (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
Combine cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder. Beat sweetened condensed milk and butter until smooth. Add crumb mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment