Thursday, November 14, 2013

Serving is Magic 11/13/13


Monday was Veteran’s Day. Hope you all remembered to give thanks to all of our veterans who gave so much for all of us at least in your thoughts and prayers. Better yet if you thanked the ones you know personally. My 102 year old friend was born on 11-11-11.  How unique!  I thought I was special since my year of birth is the same as the day of the month. The most special thing about it is my kids should remember how old I am or at least be able to figure it out because they will remember what year I was born.

Remember how I told you to look for the ever present magic in the ordinary things in your daily life?  I had that really brought home to me Sunday.  On Saturday a daughter and son-in-law came to clean my eave spouts and rake my leaves. It was so windy that raking leaves was a  hopeless task so I conned them into another major project that needed accomplished. Also, I had messed up my TV and did not have a picture. I had done such a good job (guess I pushed too many buttons) that she could not correct the problem. She called the number for Time Warner and after being on hold for over ten minutes she was connected with an operator. This was a bit of magic in itself. By telling what was on the screen the operator told her what to do and in a few minutes they had a picture. My daughter asked if she could ask where she was located. We were amazed at her answer that she was in the Philippines. She said she personally was safe from the storm but thanked her for asking. What a small world we live in.
  
On Sunday afternoon, since I was having a lazy day and expected no company, I decided to spend the afternoon finishing a novel I started the other night when I could not sleep. In the wee hours I read for nearly two hours, so was quite interested in how the characters solved their problems. That is a better excuse than being lazy but not as honest. I thought I noticed some movement from one of my windows. When I went to investigate, my back yard was filled with teenaged angels, raking and carrying the leaves to the curb.  I gave credit to the youth of St. Mary’s church. If I am incorrect the true angels will have to let me  know so I can thank them personally.  All I noticed were the halos, and did not try to recognize any faces!
  
How adventuresome are you this week?  While looking for recipes, I noticed two that would be a different slant on Thanksgiving specialties.  I wanted to try both of them before I passed them on, but decided that If I did that it would be too late for you to try them before subjecting your guests to an untried recipe.  On the other hand, if they did not turn out well you would have had lots of help to eat them. By the time everyone tasted them they would all be consumed!
            
PUMPKIN DESSERT
1 cup sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs, beaten
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Spice or Carrot cake Mix
2 sticks of butter, melted
¾ cup chopped pecans
Mix sugar, condensed milk, eggs, pumpkin, spices and vanilla. Put in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle cake mix on top of pumpkin mix. Drizzle melted butter on cake mix. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
            
SWEET POTATOES
1 can (18 oz.) sweet potatoes
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
½ cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
TOPPING: ½ cup self rising flour
                    1 stick butter cut in pieces
                    1 cup brown sugar
                    1 cup pecan pieces
Beat together sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, melted butter, milk and vanilla. Pour into baking dish. Mix together flour, brown sugar and pecans. Put butter on top of sweet potato mixture, then put flour mixture on top of that.  Bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you do not have self-rising flour, mix 1 cup of all purpose flour with 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment