Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Magic Maxine! 10/24/13

10-24-24 is a very familiar date.  Guess why. It is my date of birth!  So that means that today is my birthday!  If you are a fair math student you can figure out which one. Sunday was the first celebration.  My daughter asked me to help celebrate the Tuesday birthday of a challenged friend of hers (who happens to have a favorable relationship with me) to celebrate our birthdays together. An element of surprise for me was the attendance of a grandson and his family who joined us at the restaurant. Hope it was a memorable occasion for you, too, Sue Ellen. Monday, one of my sons is having lunch with me, if he doesn’t forget!  So it looks as if it will be a great week. 

Saturday was a special day when another grandson and his fiancé were married in Kendallville.  A reception was held at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. I felt honored with a special place of honor plus being presented with a beautiful pink rose by the bride. Her grandmothers were equally honored. That makes me half way through my grandkids with a set of silverware. I just finished all of the high school graduates. Don’t have plans to start any great traditions with the greats considering the numbers that you came up with for my birthday.

Glad that the government is back in business, but did they really solve anything or will we be back on the same spot in a few months?  Why can’t we have Congressmen who are there for the good of the country rather than serving their own self interests like pensions, self raises and special laws that pertain only to them and their own re-election?

On a good train of thought, congratulations to the volley ball girls on their success at the tournament on Saturday. We are real proud of you. Best wishes for success on Tuesday night.
A magic moment occurred this morning when I checked my computer and found an email from one of my nieces from Auburn who had sent me a recipe for sweet potatoes.  I usually just boil them longer than necessary then whip them with a whisk. Add butter (well lots of it), salt and a bit of cinnamon. I can consume more of  this than one little old lady should, but I think I deserve to indulge. Plan to try this method soon, as I do enjoy sweet potatoes and they come highly recommended for diabetics. I might dip lightly with the brown sugar or use Splenda Brown Sugar.


            
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
3 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
A pinch of ginger
Sea salt to taste
Peel and dice potatoes into bite size cubes. Place in a small baking dish coated with cooking spray. Melt butter in microwave and pour over the potatoes with the oil, brown sugar and spices. Add more sugar or cinnamon if desired. Toss to coat evenly. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. Stir twice during cooking.

Since I have put in a long day after a short night of sleep, I am resorting to my four item cookbook. I like pork chops and this sounds like an easy way to prepare them.
            
OVEN FRIED PORK CHOPS
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten
1 cup cornbread stuffing mix
4 pork chops
Place butter in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Dip pork chops in egg mixture, then stuffing mix to coat. Place chops on top of melted butter. Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Turn and bake 15 minutes longer or until browned.


I wish for you Faith so that you can believe, Patience to accept the truth, and Love to complete your life. Whatever your tribulation when the road you are traveling seems difficult at best, give your problems to the Lord and God will do the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment