Monday, November 11, 2013

"Farkle" Family Magic 11/7/13


We have to remember daily that decisions do have consequences and that we have to live with them later.  After a very busy weekend, last evening I decided that this would be easier to do after a good night’s sleep and in the early morning hours when everything is bright and fresh.  So much for that bright idea.  Here I am up and dressed with the only idea in my mind is that I sure wish I were cozy in bed and still sleeping. Now we will see what I can do about that decision and its consequences.

Both Saturday and Sunday were very special days.  One of my daughters works at the Filling Home in our county. They were having a special day in Napoleon.  I went with two daughters and a granddaughter to their Filling Home Fling.  Just spending the day with them was special in itself, but I came home with a heart full of special feelings.  A number of the individuals who are under their care were there, along with projects they made that were amazing with the talents that it took to produce them. A special one that I know personally and has been in my home several times was so glad to see me and waved at a distance. Then when we approached her table, she held back her sweater to show me a necklace that I had given her for her birthday. Thank you, Sue Ellen for making my day a very magic one. Also thanks to the special people who devote their lives to making magic in the lives of other special people.

Several weeks ago, a daughter called me and suggested that we have a “Farkle” day at my home.  I was way out in left field on that request and before I answered I needed an explanation. It is a very simple but enjoyable game played with dice. So we proceeded with the plans and Sunday was our special day with the whole family invited for a game and snacks day at my home. We had chosen a busy day and had many regrets, but we decided that if there were only six of us here we would have a good time. We ended with about 20, who enjoyed the relaxed day of  enjoying a new game, each other, much laughter, a large pan of chili, chicken sandwiches, apple crisp, crackers and cheese, apple pie, lemon cake, and a number of finger foods.  We had the food on the stove and counter and everyone just helped themselves when they felt the urge to eat, which was often. The day was successful since the plans developed to have a similar day regularly for any who can work the day into their schedule. The last ones left for their homes a little before nine. That is the reason for my procrastination to be up early this morning.   The next time I will do my thing the day before instead of the “morning after”.

Since we are experiencing much cooler weather, it is time to think of comfort food to warm our inner souls.  I picked up a cook book that dates back to my early housekeeping days, that is a long time ago, and found some casserole recipes that sound very appetizing, are simple to make, consist of  every day ingredients and are different than any I have ever made. Hope they challenge you to try them.
            
BEEF CHEESE CASSEROLE
1 pound ground beef
¾ cup chopped onion,
Salt and pepper to taste
16 ounces  tomato sauce
1 cup cottage cheese
1 package (8 oz.) cottage cheese
¼ cup sour cream
1/3  cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup chopped green onion
8 ounces noodles, cooked and drained. Brown beef and onion. Add salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Simmer slowly while preparing other ingredients.  Combine cottage cheese, cream  cheese, sour cream, onion and green pepper. Place half of the noodles in bottom of three quart casserole. Top with cheese mixture, then remaining noodles. Pour meat mixture over the top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
                        
HAM ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE
1 can condensed cream of mushroom sop
1/3 cup light cream
2 cups diced ham
1 cup cooked or canned asparagus
Buttered cracker crumbs
Blend soup with cream. Add ham and asparagus.
Pour into a small baking dish and top with buttered cracker crumbs. Bake in a moderate oven (375) for 20 to 30 minutes.

Lesson for today: Remember that decisions do have consequences!


No comments:

Post a Comment