Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spring has sprung.....almost 4/11/13


Here we are with another month nearly half over.  Where can spring be hiding?  I wore a suit to church this morning thinking that it was after Easter and that would be sufficient.  When the wind hit me full blast, I wished I had had enough good sense to wear a coat, also.  Oh, well before long we will probably be complaining that it is too hot. That is the way we human beings react to most things. Nothing is ever really just the way we ordered it.

Had an extremely busy day on Saturday. Had four places I needed, or wanted, to be. Got them all accomplished, but if you were to stop in unexpected at my home you would wonder why I didn’t just stay home and put things in order.  I just plead innocent like an aunt of mine did, after she got to the point that housework was not necessary and say, “It is just the way I like it!” Due to unforeseen circumstances this week will be a short visit with you, but  I do not want my spot to be cast lots for.

One thing I wanted to mention last week was a new idea I found for keeping celery fresh longer.  I was really proud of myself when I heard it would keep longer  if you wrap it in aluminum foil before putting it in the crisper.  A few weeks ago in the “extras” in the weekend paper I noticed an embellishment of the idea that is really fascinating.  Before wrapping it in aluminum foil wrap it in a wet paper towel.  I usually let mine get so tired that I put it in the weekly garbage. With two pluses---this idea and the resurfacing of a recipe for a celery casserole that I gave you years ago, I hope to banish the need to send any more celery to the curb on Friday.

In a 1968 cook book, the gift of a new friend, of hundreds if casserole recipes, I found a new idea which interested me.  Why don’t you try it for company. Then if you do not like it you will have help to eat it.  That was a precept I used when I was cooking for my family.  If it was not the best, by the time eleven of us sampled it, it was nearly gone!  I do think you will like this.  I say if you put good things into a food item, it should turn out well.

SCALLOPED CHICKEN with POTATOES
4 medium potatoes, sliced
1 cup cooked chicken, diced
Salt and pepper  to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Buttered cracker crumbs
Paprika, optional
Arrange layers of potatoes and chicken in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour soup over the top. Sprinkle with buttered crumbs and paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Serves 6.

Years ago I received the following  in an email that impressed me.  I saved it and will pass on to you the statement that was the most impressive to me.

Today I will delete from my diary two days: YESTERDAY and TOMORROW.  YESTERDAY was to learn and TOMORROW will be the consequence of what I can do today.

May many magic moments fill your days this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment