Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Everyday Magic 4/25/13


After such a fantastic experience last weekend and a nearly 90% homebound week just finished, the horrible news of the past week, including the Texas explosion, Boston Marathon bombing, floods, etc.,  it is hard to know where to look for magic in my life..  Many times the magic is found in the small everyday experiences and interactions with your family members, sometimes with people you know only slightly.

I had two very special encounters with fairly recently formed friendships this past week. One happened in church this morning with the response at the sign of peace from a new acquaintance. It pleased me immensely and a short conversation after prayer time reinforced the fact that it was spontaneous and brightened both of our attitudes for the day.  Again, it was magic  where I least expected it, in the ordinary moments of life, making a great impression on my life and my day.

I have previously told you that it was almost magic that I have a continuing correspondence with my new Oslo, Norway friend.  Last Tuesday, I sent her a copy of my column which she responded to so quickly that it shocked me. In less than three hours, we had four emails going back and forth. Unbelievable to me with my small understanding of modern technology. She brightened my day and I apparently brightened hers from her gratefulness that “with all of my large family and lots of friends, I still included her in my life.”   So here is proof that you can be the magic in  someone’s life, by just reaching out with kindness to those  you are near each moment of every day.

It was almost magic when I had no food choices planned for this week. I randomly pulled out an old magazine that I had saved for some unknown reason. Wouldn’t you know, there were a number of short, easy to make recipes? The problem now is that I would like to include them all.  Since I do like Reuben sandwiches, here is a short cut that I hope you might like.
          
REUBEN APPETIZERS
1 tube (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, and chopped
1 tablespoon Thousand Island dressing
4 slices of processed Swiss cheese, cut into ½ inch strips
8 thin slices deli corned beef
Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles. Combine kraut and salad dressing. Place two cheese slices across the short side of the triangle. Fold beef slices in half; place over cheese. Top with kraut mixture. Roll up each crescent and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add a salad and dessert for a quick meal.



Since I am always looking for new ways to do vegetables, I will include this idea for cooking carrots. My oldest brother turned green just mentioning cooked carrots, but I have them on my list of good things to eat. During my days of feeding a multitude on a mini budget, we ate lots of baked potatoes, dressed up with lots of butter and creamed carrots. Really not too bad, but he was grateful that he no longer lived where I was doing the cooking.
            
MAPLE RAISIN CARROTS
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 cups sliced carrots
¼ cup golden raisins
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in sugar and syrup. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in carrots and raisins. Cook 3 to 5 minutes longer  or until carrots are tender. If you have no maple syrup, use more sugar and add maple flavoring.

A suggestion for preparing vegetables of any kind was to  steam or microwave them, drain, add butter and sprinkle with dry Italian salad dressing mix, stir and serve.

Remember to look for magic in your life everyday as close as your elbow. Also, reach out to supply it for those you meet each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment