Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Magic is where you find it! 5/2/13


I can barely believe that I had to enter a new month with today’s date.  Where did April go to so quickly?  I doubt if those of you who wanted your garden planted in April  made it this year.  My attempts the last couple of years were such a dramatic failure the idea is not real exciting to me now.  There are several things that I was really going to accomplish this month, but it looks as if I forgot to start them. Oh well, there is always another month coming up.

I was going to say I had a real dry day today, but then the memory of the rain shower that was hard to ignore when I was on my way to church erased that idea. I had no social obligations, only one fifteen minute visit, a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich , lime Jello and pears with cottage cheese for lunch.  Now I am struggling to find any magic hiding in that. The most exciting event of the past week was a dentist appointment!!  There turned out to be some magic in that, but it is privileged doctor patient information,  so I will just go on to my usual escape and go to food.

This might disappoint a reader who complimented me last week on my ability to look and find magic in the everyday things of each day.  But really, magic in a dentist appointment?  You bet.

Not only am I short of magic, I have had a shortage of ambition these past few weeks.  Although my injured leg is improving, I find my favorite spot is my easy chair with my leg elevated. So this simple and quick dessert really grasped my attention. Less than ten minutes preparation and ready to eat in 30 minutes.  Think I will keep it handy for many days in the future.

BLUEBERRY PEAR COBBLER
2 cans (15 ¼ oz. each) sliced pears
1 package (7oz.) blueberry muffin mix
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
Drain pears, reserving ¾ cup of juice. Drink the remaining juice or save it for another use. Pour pears and reserved juice into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with blueberry muffin mix. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.

For those of you who have a yen for much sweeter delicacies, here is a guide line for sugar laden bar cookies, moistened with sweetened condensed milk and  decorated with M&M’s .
I am not even allowed to read the recipe, but I can almost taste how good they will be.

FUDGE-FILLED BARS
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (6 oz.)  semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup plain M&M’s
Combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and salt. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Stir in the pecans. Set aside 1½ cups of mixture for topping. Press remaining crumbs into a 9 x 13 baking pan.  In a saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips and shortening. Cook and stir over  low heat until chips are melted. Spread over crust and sprinkle with M & M’s. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  Cool and cut into bars.  Eat two for me.

May your life continue to be filled with many magic moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment