Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Magic Cookies 5/23/13



Have you ever decided to do something for someone else, only to find yourself receiving more enjoyment  from your actions than you had anticipated giving to others?  I had two such experiences this past week.  At least two years ago on Easter Sunday my daughter asked if she could bring a friend to our family dinner whom I did not know, but she was elderly and needed the association with others and the experience of being with a large family as they celebrated the holiday.  She seemed to enjoy the day and we enjoyed her so I calmly put it in the book of pleasant past memories.  Much later my daughter told me that this lady remembered me and asked about me whenever she saw her.  She also seemed concerned this past month when I injured my knee, and wanted to send me a get well card.  In it she said she would like to come back to my house for a meal.  I agreed to her request and plans were made for an evening meal at my home. 

We planned a full meal, entre, salad and dessert.  She was very receptive to everything that I had prepared and seemed so glad to be here that her appreciation and enjoyment of being here made me on the receiving end rather than the giving. Thanks for wanting to come to my home, Sue Ellen, and for the get well card and your thoughtfulness.

That is the way it turns out when I try to do something special for a lovely lady who is a nursing home resident where one of my sisters spent two years before her death and another sister is now a resident. My new friend is nearly 102 years old . Her mind is clearer than mine and she is such a delight to visit that I enjoy taking her cookies, broccoli noodle soup, homemade apple sauce and spending time with her.  She is so appreciative of what I do and most of all just stopping in and spending time with her that I think she has done more for me by building my ego than I have done for her.  Thanks again to you, Janice, for being such a great friend to me.

We had a visiting missionary priest at Mass on Sunday who has been serving the poor in Latin America and the Caribbean. He reminded us of our obligation to do for others. God demands  more than attending church on Sunday and putting a few dollars in the collection.  Let’s look around us and be kind to those needing maybe just a smile from us as we pass them on the street. A returned smile can be the occasion of a magic moment.

Mentioning taking cookies to my friend reminded me of a simple recipe for cookies that even the busiest homemaker can manage. I think I wrote it down from something on my computer because it was in my handwriting and taped to the front of my refrigerator. The short list of ingredients and the fact that I had everything on hand really tempted me to try it.  I think you will enjoy them.
            
MAGIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup peanut butter, (I used chunky)
Put all ingredients in a bowl. Blend with a mixer. The batter will be stiff.  Make balls the size of a walnut and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork moistened with water. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Were you taking an unplanned nap and forgot to start your evening meal when you had planned?  Here is a meat suggestion that is ready in 10 minutes!
      
DILLY PORK CHOPS
6 boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick) 
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 to 1 ½  teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Prick pork chops with a fork. Combine remaining ingredients, spoon over both sides of meat. Place on a broiler pan.  Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 4 minutes on each side. While meat is cooking prepare a quick tossed salad, cook a frozen vegetable in the microwave, open a can of fruit for dessert and no one will know you didn’t spend hours preparing a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment