Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Let's Just Eat! 9/27/12

 Pistachio Pineapple Whip

As I look at my last week’s appointment book, it is quite empty of activities. I went to the same garage sale twice. Bought a few things both times, but especially  enjoyed the social visiting and the friendliness of the family performing the difficult task of disposing of the many treasures of their parents’ lives. A very special event was a small impromptu family birthday celebration of my sister-in-law’s birthday on Saturday evening, at the local restaurant .  It was a busy day for most of her nieces and nephews but those of us who celebrated with her had a very enjoyable time. She is trying hard to catch me in age, but I do keep staying ahead of her. My son-in-law drafted the assistance of an acquaintance who happened to be dining at the restaurant  to help us in singing “Happy Birthday”. We were not blessed with musical talents and our singing leaves much to be desired. She helped keep the rescue team from coming to our aid!  Best wishes to you, Mary, and may we have another party next year!!

I keep  churning my mind for an interesting topic, but I keep returning to my disturbing thoughts about the present presidential campaign. Never before in my 65 years of voting, ( I do not think I ever missed an election, served on an election board for years, ran for township trustee, or rather was nominated without my consent, fortunately I gave my opponent an astonishing race but was not elected),  have I ever seen such a negative approach.  If you say something bad about me, I will say something worse about you does not persuade me to vote for anyone.  If you cannot sell me your sweeper with its positive qualities about your product instead of criticizing my worn out broom, you will not make a sale.  There are things that I do not like about both candidates.  In the past I have voted for both parties in the presidential election and locally I pay no attention to the party of the candidate, but rather on what I personally know to be true about their personality and character.  Sometimes I let my idea of their intelligence persuade me, but we can learn from our kids.  One daughter told me once, in a kind way, “Mom, you cannot judge people by their intelligence. They only have what God gave them to work with!” At this time I was not voting for a president, I was giving advice on a choice of friends.

There are only a few weeks left for me to ponder where I should mark my “X”. I will make what I think is a sound decision only to have the media tear apart the statements made by the candidate. In a fact finding report after the conventions, it stated false statements made by each candidate! Since not voting is not an option, may some positive, not prejudicial, statements be forthcoming.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

As I am searching for food, I thought I needed some dessert to settle my political nerves, but I found only a controversial recipe.  You may criticize it, because I am not certain that I will try it. Let’s just say I am prejudiced with my own present recipe for pie crust! Might I mention one fault about this new one?  It makes too much if it is one I do not like!  Might I suggest cutting it in half.  This might not be intelligent on my part, because I have never heard of this approach even though this cook book is over 25 years old. I must have lived a sheltered life.
                              
SOUR CREAM PIE CRUST
4 cups all purpose flour
1 ½  teaspoons salt
2 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup dairy sour cream
Cut mixture of flour and salt into the shortening until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in sour cream. Wrap and refrigerate overnight. (It can be stored in the refrigerator up to ten days.) This dough browns more quickly than the usual pie dough. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes. I usually do not bake crust at that high temperature. That is the suggested one and since I do not bake it, use your own judgment. This makes 3 double crusted pies.

Next there is a very simple, quickly made dessert. Why wouldn’t anyone want to try it? Bet it would be good with other choices of pudding mix if you do not like the suggested flavor.
                       
PISTACHIO PINEAPPLE WHIP
1 carton (16 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
½ cup miniature marshmallows
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple
1 small box instant pistachio pudding mix
½ cup chopped nuts
Turn whipped topping into a large serving bowl. Fold in marshmallows, undrained pineapple, dry pudding mix and nuts. Refrigerate. Good as salad or dessert.

To impress your family put it in dessert dishes and top with a dab of whipped topping and a candied cherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment