Friday, September 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Magic Moments 9/20/12

Just living can play dirty tricks on the most unsuspecting. Last evening when I should have been doing this, I thought that since I had a couple of ideas that I could develop, that I would just go to  bed, get up early this morning and breeze through another chat with you.  Wrong.  I did wake up early, but decided nothing was worth getting up that early, so I just pulled the covers up higher and went back to sleep. Here is where the trouble started.  This must have been heavier on my mind than I realized because I was struggling with getting it arranged, finally had it where I wanted it and awakened to the startling facts that it was an hour later than I needed, my paper was blank, and what in the world had I written while I was sleeping!

Let’s go back to the original activity of last week.  I baked a few pies for my daughter which she took back to her work place in Bryan and shared with her co-workers. She decided it would be nice to have me bake three pies and she would have me come in during their lunch break so could they could meet me. This was a very flattering suggestion, and all went well with the help of her embellishment of ice cream. By the time I got home I had four emails, from coworkers thanking me for my efforts.  That evening I got one from my daughter with a development she wanted to share. A customer from Maine had called and placed an order for thousands of dollars worth of products and commented on her “Monday”, implicating that all Mondays are difficult. She informed him that hers was a good one that they had just enjoyed pie baked by her OLD mother and ice cream.  He followed up with the suggestion, “Just keep the products that I ordered and send me 2 apple, 1 peach and 1 cherry”!


Now we will go from the ridiculous to the sublime.  On Saturday evening I was an honored guest at the outdoor wedding of my granddaughter  at the Orchard Hills Country Club. Along with a  backdrop of a flower decorated arch and a mini altar, the rest of the magnificent scenery was provided by the hand of God  in the view that was overpowering as we witnessed their vows. The officiating clergyman imposed the requirement for a successful marriage of keeping God at the center of their home and lives.  For what it is worth, I like to add that each of the couple has to put the other one first. Weddings have the obstacle of months of planning and ideas that have to come together at an appointed hour. Again we can say “Mission accomplished.”   Our best wishes go out to Steve and Morgan for a very happy and long marriage.

Now for a short intermission as I select a couple of recipes. Wish I knew how the chef at the reception did some of the fantastic food  that was served. Since it is late for my dead line, maybe I better look for my four ingredient cook book. That will be almost impossible, just because I do remember that I had it in my hands two days ago!  Here is one that is simple and seasonal. It brings back memories of mini-muffins that my first granddaughter always brings to our Thanksgiving dinners. The pie is a different approach to pecan pie.
                      
PUMPKIN MUFFINS
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground  allspice
4 tablespoons butter
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
Sift together flour, baking powder sugar, salt, spices. Work in butter until crumbly. Stir in egg and pumpkin. Mix in milk just until all ingredients are moistened. Bake in 12 greased 2 ½ inch muffin cups at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
                      
PECAN CREAM CHEESE PIE
1 package (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
I unbaked 9 inch pie shell
1 ¼  cup chopped pecans
3 eggs
1/4cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup light corn syrup
Mix together cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with pecans. Combine all remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour over pecans. Bake at 375  degrees 35 to 40 minutes or until center is firm.

Wishing Magic Moments a belated happy 22nd birthday last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment