Friday, October 12, 2012

Miracle Triplets - Three Times the Magic! 10/11/12

Last week I was asleep at the switch when I dated my original copy for the paper.  I didn’t realize until a few days later that I had dated it a week later than it should have been.  This is the week I should have mentioned the interesting date that goes in chronological order, 10, 11, 12, therefore reminding me of my brothers’ birthday.  If it did not make sense to you, the buck stops here and I take full responsibility.

Both this week’s date and the rainy, chilly, damp day reminds me too much of the long winter days ahead, with possible snow to shovel. So I will doubly enjoy the nice fall days that do come our way and try not to think of the winter months. My favorite time of the year is springtime when the earth suddenly springs to life with green appearing everywhere and signals the end of snow hindering my travel plans.

The past week brought magic moments to my life with the birthday party of my year old great granddaughter who was unfazed by all of the attention, but it was a great day for us to enjoy many people that we do not see often. Wish you could remember all of the “lady bug”  festivities, Everleigh.

Climaxing the week was the visit from Kentucky of my sister’s great grandkids- nine month old triplets, Emmy, Gus, and Tommy Mathews. They were in our town from Friday evening until Sunday morning getting acquainted with their extended family with an open house at my sister’s for anyone who wanted to meet them. Seeing some of the demands of three at such a tender age, made us partially realize the challenge presented to the parents who have the 24 hour a day responsibility for the lives of such a precious blessing. I mentioned to the parents an article that I read when I was in charge of my large family that the first requirement to successfully managing a large number of kids (which could also be applied to three at one time) is the fact that you really want to do it.  Their parents seemed calm, cool  and collected and very much in charge of the situation. (With much assistance and encouragement from Grandpa Doug and Grandma Sandy!)


My thoughts this week went in the area of sugarless items, probably of my guilt pains of too many cookies with a sugar test coming up in about three weeks.  I am not certain if that is enough time to bring my three months average down or not, but I will give it a good try. For any of you with a similar problem I am including a recipe for sugarless brownies that came from my Dad’s sister who included it in her church recipe book that she gave to us on our 25th wedding anniversary.  That makes it a bit old but should be quite tasty. I also have a simple but good recipe for a quick lunch when ideas and time are scarce for a meal for your family.
           
BROWNIES FOR DIABETICS
½ cup butter
Sweetener equivalent to 1 ¼ cup sugar
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chopped walnuts
Cream butter and sweetener, add melted chocolate. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and nuts. Spread in a greased baking pan (8 x 8). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
           
CHEESY POTATO SOUP
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
4 chicken bouillon cubes
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, bouillon cubes in water until tender. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir until smooth stirring constantly. Add milk heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Drain vegetables, add sauce and shredded cheddar cheese.  Mix and heat thoroughly. DO NOT BOIL. Serve with crackers, shredded cheese and paprika. To prevent cheese from sticking to a shredder, spray the shredder with cooking spray before beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment