Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer is leaving but good food is here to stay! 8/30/12

I was amazed when I wrote the date that anything you intended to do this summer had better already be accomplished.  Scarier  than that is that 2012 is already two thirds gone!  Time is whizzing by.  No wonder my hair is getting so white.

This last week was a rather quiet one, which was nice but it left me with a search for a magic moment.  I had more quiet time to relax in my recliner and just think about what I ought to be doing instead of scrambling to accomplish what had to be done before the next social obligation.  This afternoon did furnish some magic moments for me, built on the heartbreak of some of my extended family. I attended the calling hours for the death of an in-law in my paternal  grandmother’s extended family. We are distant enough  that they don’t have to claim me if they do not want to. As I was inquiring about the oldest son who lives in Atlanta. He was pointed out to me and as I made myself known to him, he responded with “Oh, you have to meet my wife. She has your cookbook”! A very pleasant interlude followed after she told me she has made everything in it, and it is a bit ragged and messy from so much use. They use the sausage casserole dish for Christmas that we have used for years. Flattery will get you places at times. So I volunteered to go home and get her a left over reprint which I autographed for them, so it will be worth more money after I get noticed as the author!  It was very nice touching base with the younger generation who have scattered across the continent.  Guess there is a silver lining to a lot of sad moments in our lives. I also renewed friendships with some of my farmer friends of the days when I worked at the elevator.  Duane was also a farmer in the area whom many of them also knew.

I imagine most of you are having withdrawal symptoms from the lack of dessert recipes this past week.  Let’s take care of that right now.  A friend told me that she had just recently used my recipe for ham and cabbage casserole.   I had to admit that I did not remember it. That seems odd because I can remember things that long ago, but am not certain that I ate my breakfast and took my medications this morning. Since it has been over 21 years since the book was printed, I am certain that we have some younger cooks who have not seen it.  Since it is a very simple casserole and seasonal, because many in an ordinary year  would have an ample supply of fresh cabbage in their garden.  I intend to try it this week, since I enjoy cooked cabbage.
           
HAM AND CABBAGE CASSEROLE
I quart shredded cabbage, (my friend said that she
 used more cabbage because it is a favorite of theirs)
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 pound cooked ham, cubed
¼ cup chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup bread or crushed cracker crumbs
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, slowly stir in flour until smooth. Add milk stirring until thickened. Add cheese, ham and green pepper. In a buttered casserole, place a layer of cabbage that has been boiled five minutes, then a layer of ham and cheese sauce. Repeat, using sauce last. Sprinkle buttered crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Now , let’s get to the dessert.  I will save a good one for next week. I promise to remember which one and where I put it! I found this unusual apple cobbler recipe.  Hope it is as successful as the peach cobbler. Apple harvest time is just around the corner. Hope there is a successful harvest of them because I keep apples in my home nearly all of the time.
                       
RUBY APPLE COBBLER
4 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup red cinnamon candies
4 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 can (10 oz.) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
¼ cup chopped nuts
Mix together apple slices and lemon juice. Set aside. Combine marshmallows, cinnamon candies and cornstarch. Stir in water and butter. Cover low heat, stirring constantly, until candies are melted. Stir in apples. Heat until bubbly and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour into an ungreased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Separate each biscuit into two layers Dip one side of each in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar. Overlap, sugared side up, in rows over hot apple mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment