Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Welcome to our country and town! 9/6/12

 Ribbon Crispies

Since we are into the Fall months, it seems that I have a few regrets.  I find that even though we endured some really harsh hot, dry weather this summer, I am not ready to box up my white slacks, and summer clothes. In the past, if you were really fashionably hip, you would not be caught in white clothes or shoes after Labor Day.  I think perhaps that rule has been modified.  At least I plan to wear mine a few more times.

Sunday was a day with many magic moments crowded into it.  My daughter and son-in-law have opened their home to a 16 year old exchange student from Africa.  They held an open house Sunday afternoon for their close relatives to meet Elsie.  It was a rare and very pleasant afternoon.  I can’t even imagine what it would be like to be that far from home, living with complete strangers, committed to stay for the entire school year.  For myself, when I have been gone from  home, even with people that I know, after only a few days all I want to do is go home. The Sleesman and Sanders families have committed themselves to make her visit with us as pleasant as possible. So we have an indefinite date as soon as she is comfortable in her new surroundings to make cut out sugar cookies.  She told me that she has never made cookies before. I sincerely hope that it does more than make her realize that she never wants to bake any again!!  A very precious moment to me was when she was sitting near me she leaned over and quietly said to me, “I really like your hair!”  I told her the only way you can get hair like mine is to get really, really OLD! She just flashed her very pleasant broad grin at me.  Elsie, welcome to the Sleesman and Sanders family, our country, and our Edgerton, where you will be attending classes at Edgerton High School this school year.  May your visit be filled with many, many magic moments and days.

Would you believe that I still know where the book and the recipe that I saved from last week is?  I had a pleasant surprise again from a friend who unselfishly donated lovely heads of cabbage from her garden.  I made last week’s cabbage casserole from my cookbook that I had never made.  Thanks to another friend’s recommendation, I made it and would label it very successful. If you like cooked cabbage, I hope you saved the recipe.   Now back to my favorites—desserts!
                      
BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM DESSERT
74 (approximately two sleeves) butter flavored crackers, crushed
¾ cup butter, melted
3 small packages instant butter pecan pudding mix
2 cups milk
½ gallon butter pecan ice cream, softened
1 carton (8 oz.) whipped topping
Halved or chopped pecans
Mix cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press into 9 x 13-inch pan. Whip pudding according to package directions, but reduce milk to 2 cups, fold in softened ice cream. Pour over crust. Cover with whipped topping and garnish with pecans. Refrigerate until serving time. (I think I would try at least part of the pudding just vanilla.  Use your own preference.)
                                  
RIBBON CRISPIES
This recipe was taken from an annual Taste of Home Cook Book and is
recommended for all children from “1 to 101”.
½ cup butter, cubed
2 jars (7 oz. each) marshmallow crème
11 cups crisp rice cereal
1 to 1 ½  cups peanut butter
1 to 1 ½  cps hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Stir in marshmallow creme until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in cereal until blended. Press half of the cereal mixture into a greased 15 x 10 by 1 inch pan. Spread with the peanut butter. Carefully spread with the warmed hot fudge topping. Press remaining cereal mixture over the fudge layer. (pan will be full) Cool for ten minutes before cutting into squares.

Again, WELCOME to our country and town, Elsie!

No comments:

Post a Comment