Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/3/11

I guess I was remiss last week for grumbling about having a birthday on Monday. It turned out to be a fantastic day.  I received about 50 Face Book and E-mail greetings and a nice amount of cards. After spending an anticipated day at home, about 3:15 a daughter called and asked what I was doing for the day. She had planned to come on her lunch hour and that didn’t happen.  She was concerned about my birthday being uneventful and suggested that she come after work and take my sister, sister-in-law and me out for supper here in town. A few minutes later another daughter called and said she would bring another sister-in-law for whom she is a caretaker and take me out for supper.  So we agreed to combine the two invitations.   When they picked me up at 5:30 the plans had changed and there were 15 relatives who helped me finish a great day, even if it were a Monday.


Another bit of magic occurred on Saturday as a final birthday celebration.  My kids were planning a “work day for Mom” to do a number of things that I cannot accomplish myself. The day resulted in many complications and only a few were here but they accomplished much!  My poor excuse of a garden completely disappeared. If you remember the rabbits ate off my green beans, my 40 gladiola bulbs produced plants but not one bloom, My ten tomato plants refused to grow, stayed a nice deep green until time to ripen then developed blight, my only tomatoes were first cousins to golf balls.  I think that is enough to discourage me from even trying next year. A granddaughter dug my few onions, saved the flower bulbs, and cleared the patch of all debris.  It looks nice enough to tempt me to try to plant a few things next summer. Another granddaughter rearranged my pantry cupboard and threw out a few older than recommended items, I am going to try to keep it in fairly good order at least until she comes back at Christmas time! Together two daughters washed my front porch windows and painted the front porch floor. The rest gathered some of the leaves, cleaned eaves and are working on a major product of camouflaging the area where the swimming pool used to be.  They accomplished much, but also enjoyed the company of each other accented by plenty of good food at lunch time. Indeed it was a magic day.


As I searched for recipes, I noticed a cookbook that my aunt gave us for a 25th wedding anniversary present.  That would date it back to at least 1975.  It included a couple of unique apple recipes. Since apples are abundant now maybe you will be looking for some new ideas for preparing them.
                                  
APPLE CRUNCH
Dice fine enough apples to cover the bottom of an 8 x 10
inch baking dish to a depth of at least one inch. Dot with butter.
Mix together the following until you have a course crumb mixture.
     1 cup flour
     1 cup sugar
     1 teaspoon baking powder
     1 egg
Cover the apples with the crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350
degrees until apples are done.  No time was mentioned but I would suggest
about 30 minutes.
                                
HEAVENLY APPLE SALAD
2 packages lemon Jello
1 cup hot water
16 marshmallows, diced (I would suggest miniatures)
1 cup cold water
1 can (9 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
2 large apples, diced
½ cup chopped nuts
Dissolve Jello in hot water. Add marshmallows and stir until dissolved. Stir
In cold water and chill until partially set.  Add remaining ingredients and
chill until firm.

TOPPING:  
¾ cup sugar            
Juice of I lemon                      
2 eggs, beaten      
8 ounces whipped topping
Beat sugar, eggs, lemon juice together. Cook until thick in double boiler.
Cool. Fold in whipped topping and spread over top of chilled Jello.

Have you noticed the demolishing of the school house that was built three years before I moved to Edgerton in 1940 and attended high school there? As he  was looking at the debris, my son remarked, “That building was built to last and last!”  So goes progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment