Monday, November 21, 2011

11/17/11

Once again, I find myself a week short of where I should be.  Last week should have included my thanks to all of you veterans, especially, my two brothers, now deceased, two sons, a good number of cousins and now a grandson who devoted a part of their life to serving our great country, protecting the liberties we all enjoy and take so much for granted. Why can’t we live in a world where greed for money and power, dishonesty and corruption do not exist.  Or on a lesser scale, why as human beings can’t we resolve our differences without going to war with all of its bloodshed and devastation? Am I asking too much?  Thanks again for those of you who gave so much.

I have been thinking, which might be dangerous, about what we have done to our world since I was a child.  I am grateful that I was privileged to live in the times that I was  growing up. This would be unimaginable for our youth of today.  We had no money, no telephone, remember it was during a severe depression when a phone was something you could do without, not even any electricity.  Just think what would be gone if you had no electronic doo-dads, not even any electricity in your home. But they were great years where we knew and enjoyed each other, even my six siblings without too much jangling,  our neighbors for miles around us, were taught respect for our parents, grandparents, teachers, all persons in authority, went to church weekly, made do with mostly hand me down clothes (I got my first new winter coat when I was in the eighth grade and thought I was a princess.) Back then we seldom locked the doors to our home, the “wild” kids drank beer and smoked cigarettes! Drug addiction was almost unheard of.  All of this seems an impossibility, but to those of us who lived it, we credit all of that to making us what we are today.

In both scenarios we needed food as nourishment. That has not changed.  Yesterday, at a local church that was sponsoring a soup and salad luncheon, I talked to and acknowledged a number of my “farmer friends” from the years that I worked at the elevator. One remarked something about my recipes.  His wife told me how they liked the recent one with apples, covered with batter. It was good besides being very simple.  I told her that I was going through my cookbooks and found two that have only four ingredients.  She said that those would be what she would like. So today, Donna, these are for you!
         
BARBEQUE CUPS
1 pound lean (85% lean or better)
½ cup barbeque sauce
1 can refrigerated biscuits
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese.

Brown meat, drain fat. Add barbeque sauce
and set aside. Place biscuits in ungreased muffin
tins, pressing dough up the sides to edge of cup.
Spoon meat mixture into cups. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees.
                            
BEEF PATTIES
1 pound ground beef chuck
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons butter

Mix beef, potatoes and onion. Shape into patties.
Brown slowly in butter until desired doneness.

Hope these simple to do entrees capture your interest, and maybe save your reputation and happy home if you shop too long or get involved in a long telephone conversation with a friend!
Incidentally, I do have some reprints of my cook book, which includes the first 90 columns that were published way back in 1990. If interested give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment