Thursday, October 27, 2011

10/27/11

I am 98% recovered from a nasty case of shingles. I should have been smarter when dealing with unexplained pain. At first I thought it was my stomach and applied a treatment of my own, warm milk and cinnamon graham crackers, before going to bed. The next day it was in my back, so I decided it wasn’t my original diagnosis, but I can handle this. After several days of persistent pain and my high pain tolerance, I broke out in a nasty rash across my back and around in front on my right side. Wouldn’t you know, a poor old lady living alone and it was Sunday evening. And where was that nosey old lady who is always messing up my household , hiding things that I have just had when I needed her? Why couldn’t she have told me there was trouble on my back? I went across the street to my daughter’s home where I saw her working on her fall outside decorations. Her husband came home and we had a three way discussion and decided that a trip to the emergency room was needed because of the need for sooner rather than later medication that is needed for this nasty dilemma. The emergency room doctor agreed with our diagnosis gave me medicine on the spot and sent me home with prescriptions enough to kill a horse. One medicine I had to take 5 times a day, another three times a day and pain medication. All of this in addition to the regular ones that I was already taking for blood pressure, sugar, etc. All I got done was wonder if it were time to take a pill or if I had already taken it. My rash is nearly gone, but I still have pain. One article that I read states that pain can linger for possibly months. Hope I am not that unlucky.

Another area where I showed very poor judgment is that you should never have a birthday on a Monday when 99% of your family is either working or in school. Sunday was a good substitute when my kids that live the farthest away from me (Decatur, Fayette, Wauseon, Kendallville, one from Edgerton, who is very occupied on Monday) stopped by with good wishes and most stayed for an “order in” supper of Subway sandwiches.(I do not cook on my birthday and Mother’s Day.) This morning there were 15 greetings on Facebook so I think I will survive the poor choosing of a day to have my birthday.

I picked out a few recipes last night. Should have stayed up and typed this then because lingering persistent pain which I thought I could handle without medication kept me awake until the wee hours of the morning. Now hope I can find the book from which I chose them. It was suggested that all three could make a meal which could be serve in 30 minutes. I don’t do anything that swiftly, but hope you can.

MAPLE-PECAN PORK CHOPS
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup maple syrup, divided
4 bone-in pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup unsweetened apple juice
1 cup pecan halves

Combine mustard, pepper and 2 teaspoons syrup. Brush over both sides of the pork chops. In a non-stick skillet, brown pork in butter over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add apple juice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chops and keep warm. Add pecans and remaining syrup to the skillet. Cook and stir for one or two minutes. Serve over the pork chops.

HASHBROWN APPLE PANCAKE
1 ¼ cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
½ cup finely chopped apple
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon snipped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup shredded Swiss cheese

Combine hash browns, apple, onion, chives, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Spread one half of the potato mixture in an even layer in the skillet. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with the remaining hash browns. Press mixture gently into skillet. Cook for five minutes or until bottom is browned. Invert pancake onto a plate. Heat remaining butter and oil. Slide the pancake browned side up, into the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes until bottom is browned. Slide onto a plate and cut into wedges.

Complete your meal with a frozen vegetable medley, cooked according to package directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment