Sunday, December 21, 2014

Santa Cookie Magic 12/11/14


Christmas is coming fast. I have my Christmas tree in place and plan to have a few more decorations in place by the weekend. That is not a promise, just a plan!  Should possibly start my card list before too long, but do not want to scare anyone by getting mine there too early.

Last week was a magic filled one, but kept me on the run.  It started with my daughter who was preparing a reception for her husband’s mother. They wanted to surprise her and have her famous Santa Claus cookies as part of her celebration. Judy mentioned me helping her bake them but did not want to ask me to drive to her house.  That was a simple problem to solve. Why didn’t she come to my house and we would bake them here? One of her high school friends lives in Edgerton, so she asked me if I cared if she ask her to come so they could spend the day together. All was going well until she suddenly remembered that she had a one o’clock appointment in Butler that she had to keep. We had the cookies baked but that left two less-than-expert decorators in charge.



They were quite complicated with rosy cheeks, a white beard, stocking hat with white ball on the end, miniature chocolate chips for eyes, a white beard made with coconut, etc.  Now if I have to draw a moon, I say it looks like a six pointed star! Add that to my old, arthritic fingers and I almost gave up the project. My helper was determined to not let a cookie get the best of her so she was diligently working her heart out when Judy got back. She did not register any disappointment, but I am certain that she noticed the lack of perfection that would have been acquired if Grandma Susie had made them.  But when she saw the plate of Santa Clause cookies, the look of surprise and joy on her face made our less than perfection product well worth while and a very magic moment for her.



Thursday was another magic one.  It was another daughter’s birthday and she always wants to spend part of the day with her Mom.  She managed a half day’s vacation, made soup from leftover turkey, invited her Aunt Mary and me to go to her Aunt Kork’s house for lunch, since we cannot manage her in her wheel chair and we wanted her to be part of our celebration.  I baked an angel food birthday cake, Aunt Mary brought a fruit and cheese plate. We originally planned to play cards after lunch, but when her daughter stopped by after four we were still sitting at the table with no mention of playing cards. It indeed was a magic day full of laughter and just enjoying each other’s company. See, you do not have to travel far and spend a lot of money to have a Magic Day!! I finally got home about 6:00 P.M.

I intended to ask Judy for a cookie recipe to give to you that were especially good and easy to make. We, mostly Judy, made a batch of them for the party, too.  so I had to scratch deep for something to pass on today. I spotted the cookbook that my aunt had given us for our 25th wedding anniversary in 1972. The recipe I am giving you was from my Aunt Doris who lived at Beaver Dam, near Akron, Indiana.  She was one of my favorite people so her recipes should be good too.

COCKTAIL DELIGHT
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 well beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
Chopped walnuts
1 can (Size #2) fruit cocktail, partially drained
Combine sugar, flour, salt, baking powder. Add well beaten egg, vanilla and fruit cocktail. Mix well. Put in buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle brown sugar and nuts over top. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Cut in squares. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream.
            
ROSY CINNAMON APPLES
Boil together : 1/3 cup red hot candies
                              1 ½ cups water
                              ½ cup sugar
Add 6 peeled and cored apples. Simmer until tender. Chill. Centers may be filled with cream cheese.

It has been said that a man 60 years old will have spent 3 years eating.  A more interesting fact to me would be how many years did his wife spend cooking that food???

No comments:

Post a Comment