Monday, December 22, 2014

Magical Visits 12/18/14


With the temperature forecast in mid 50’s for Monday it is hard to believe it is Christmas, but the weather man half promised a white Christmas for next week. We shall see.

It is hard to break old habits. If you heard me say I was not going to do much decorating this year because I do not have any festivities at my home any more, just forget about it.  As I was going through my Christmas “stuff” I thought, “I have to put that out, it is part of Christmas!" So I did manage to cut back considerably, but I can tell that the season is upon us. I am working feverishly to get birthday “thank  you” notes out before Christmas cards. May have to double up on a few.

The magic moments of each day seem to still be coming to the surface.  Two weeks ago at coffee and rolls after church services, I called to a special friend’s attention the fact that he failed to appear at my birthday celebration. His excuse was that he was not invited. My rebuttal was that everyone was invited and with over 240 people being there my kids said “Mom, I do not believe that Jeff was not here!!" To help balance things he said that he would buy me a roll the next week. My social obligations interfered and I was not able to go to the basement for the usual socializing. During the week my back door bell rang and there was Jeff, looking very apologetic barely able to conceal a grin, with a roll in hand with a birthday candle blazing merrily in it. A magic moment? Indeed. We are now friends again.

Last week a similar instance happened at my front door. There stood a special friend dating back to the years I volunteered at the elementary school after my retirement holding a container that looked suspiciously like one of mine. In it were a number of coconut covered date balls. She acknowledged that the container was mine that I had given her sugar cookies in for her birthday in October when we were at the hairdresser at the same time on her birthday. She needlessly apologized for the way they turned out because I had devoured three of them before she was a block away! See kindness begets kindness and so does magic.

Be sure to create some Christmas magic for someone who needs it and cannot pay you back. That is a sure recipe for Christmas magic.

And that brings us to Christmas recipes. My daughter gave me the recipe for Mexican wedding Cakes that we made for her husband’s mother’s ninetieth birthday celebration. They were quite simple to make because all that I did was roll them in powdered sugar after they were baked!  I am sure you will like them.
        
MEXICAN WEDDING CAKES
I cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients together. Roll in balls. Bake on an ungreased or silicone sheet lined tray. Cool and roll in powdered sugar. Store in airtight container. They freeze nicely.

A favorite and simple treat that I like especially at Christmas time are mini pretzel and Rolo treats.
      
MINI PRETZEL AND ROLO PECAN BITS
Line a tray with mini pretzels., I have one that holds 34.  Be sure to use “mini” ones. Unwrap Rolo Caramel candies and place one on top of each pretzel. Place in oven at about 250 to 300 degrees for a few minutes.  Place a pecan half on top of the candy and press down on it.  Cool on tray and remove. Store in airtight container.


Remember to be generous to someone this Christmas who cannot return your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment