Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Beefy Hash Brown Pizza 11/13/14


First I will mention a golden wedding anniversary celebration near Warsaw, Indiana for my niece and her husband. These parties are always a delight to attend. The downside of it is that it makes me realize my age. My kids retiring, the next generation celebrating fifty years of marriage, great grandkids starting school.  Guess God has been good to me to allow me to experience all of this. Congratulations to Jean and Clarence and best wishes for many more.

Well, I am sad to report that my birthday magic has declined to a standstill.  A hearty thank you to all that contributed in any way to make it the fantastic magic event that it turned out to be. I can’t express in words the feelings I experienced from the “Happy Birthday” greetings on the street, hugs in church, many, many birthday cards, all of the hard work, planning and expense from my family for the reception and those of you who took the time and effort to attend. It will be the source of many great and magic memories. Now back to the real world!

This morning I attended the benefit brunch for my nephew’s grandson who is a patient at Riley Hospital. The food was abundant and delicious and of course I had to try it all. I came home to spend a quiet day, avoiding the temptation to stop at the Methodist Church for their soup and pie luncheon. The full feeling, besides the picture of a half of an apple pie on my kitchen counter, made me turn in at my own driveway.

In the middle of the afternoon, I was still not hungry, but my thoughts again returned to food. My guilty conscience would allow some things that were already sitting silently in my refrigerator. First I tried a cold dish of tapioca pudding. Not nearly as good as the warm one I had eaten before. Okay, I will try to finish the left over from Friday cottage cheese that I really like mixed generously with lime Jello and pears with the juice of the pears used as the cold water. That was better than the cold pudding but left me with a full stomach but still a hankering for something more substantial and hot.To fill that need, I got out my old, old Taste of Home Cookbook and found 2 main dishes I think you will like to try.  I am doing this much earlier than usual hoping that reading and mentally savoring the entrees will get me past bedtime. I would hate to have to go make me a 3 egg omelet!

BEEFY HASH BROWN PIZZA
5 cups Frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 can (10 ¾  oz.) cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 egg, slightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can, 4 oz.) mushroom slices and pieces, drained
1 can (15 oz.) pizza sauce
4 cups (16 oz. )  shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Combine potatoes, soup, egg, salt and pepper. Spread mixture into a greased 15 in x 10 inch baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Meanwhile, cook the beef, onion, and mushrooms until the meat is no longer pink. Stir the pizza sauce. Keep warm. Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over hot potato mixture. Spread meat mixture over the top, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake5 to 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
  
At the benefit brunch the pancake detail had it right on this morning. My memories of those brought my attention to this recipe because I am partial to Golden delicious apples. Add them to pancakes and they would have to be good.
      
BAKED APPLE PANCAKES
1 cup pancake mix
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 medium Golden Delicious apple, peeled and sliced
Maple syrup
Combine pancake mix, milk ,oil and egg. In an ovenproof skillet, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and apple slices. Saute until sugar is dissolved. Pour batter over apple mixture. Cook, uncovered, at 350 degrees. For 12 minutes. Invert onto serving platter. Serve with syrup.

Guess I will finish my cottage cheese and go to bed early to control my cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment