Thursday, March 13, 2014

3/13/14

The best news I have heard lately is that Spring will be here in two weeks! Never in my life have I seen so much snow at one time and been so tired of it.  I do appreciate the beauty of a new snowfall, but a constant cover gets old very rapidly.  Now will someone please inform the weather man that spring is that near and cancel any snow showers he has planned for us? An unusual event in my life took me to the elementary school one day last week.  I still can’t believe there is as much snow piled there as I think I remember!  I thought there was a lot in my yard!
A real magic moment occurred the same week.  I drove my car across town to visit my sister. It was my first time driving since before Christmas.  I think it was a successful trip.  At least no one honked at me!  Since most off the week is supposed  to be above freezing and some of the snow should disappear, I plan to make a few more trips across town.

From baking a warm apple pie to serve to my daughter who brought a co-worker with her on one of my Tuesday lunch hour visits and sending a piece of apple pie back to the coworker who covers for her when she doesn’t manage to get back on the job in her allotted hour, I baked three pies for a workshop at her company with delegates from North Carolina and Nashville , Tennessee.  From this I managed to make a special new friend who has been introduced to Magic Moments!  You brightened my day and provided many magic moments for me, Anisha.
Maybe that is a sneaky way to bring our minds to food but it worked. I finally got to Bryan and picked up some whole wheat flour.  Would you believe that when I got home with it, I did not remember where I put the recipe?  Old age does have its problems.  Now I have them together and I am going to give you the recipe before my friend hides it from me again, even though I have not made any muffins.
                        
RAISIN OAT MUFFINS
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 cup uncooked oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¾ cup orange juice
¾ cup golden raisins
            
TOPPING: ¼ cup uncooked oatmeal
                                 3 tablespoons brown sugar
                                 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
                                 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Combine flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and orange rind.
Combine egg, sour cream, oil and orange juice. Add all at once
to the dry ingredients. Mix only until blended. Gently add raisins.
Line muffin tins with paper liners and spoon batter in cups until
almost full. For topping, combine oats, brown sugar, orange rind
and butter. Mix well. Sprinkle over muffin batter and pat gently.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.  Makes 18 muffins.
Sometimes our eyes influence our food tastes more than we think.
I noticed this salad recipe in a magazine that I rarely read, but the
picture caught my eye and I saved it. Hope it tastes as good as the
picture looks.
                        
CARROT SALAD
I pound or 4 to5 cups coarsely shredded carrots
¾ cup raisins
2/3 cup dates, chopped
2/3 cup fresh pineapple, diced (I would use canned chunks, also)
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup pecan pieces
Lightly toss shredded carrots, raisins, dates and pineapple.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemons juice,
zest, sugar and salt. Pour over carrot mixture and toss to
blend well. Chill at least one hour. Right before serving stir
in pecan pieces. Makes 6 servings.


Thanks for all prayers offered for physical needs in my family. Had some remarkable results, but still have a few rough spots that need some work. Like one of my sons stated. Don’t leave out God because He is still in the miracle business.

No comments:

Post a Comment