Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Family Time is Always Magic 9/5/13


As we say goodbye to the summer months, I am wondering what makes the time fly by so quickly.   Each season seems so much shorter than when I was a  kid and we waited forever for Christmas to come by again. Summer vacation seemed to be forever and now here the school bells are ringing clear already.  

Since it is a short week, I think this will be a short visit with you since I am already behind schedule.

A few surprise activities filled my long holiday weekend with many pleasure filled hours.  After church on Sunday, since there was nothing planned on my schedule, I came home from church and was casually reading the Sunday paper (with a short nap between sections) when the phone rang. A son and his wife told me that if I were going to be home they were coming to visit me in about an hour and a half.  This brought me to life and I quickly changed clothes from Church attire to more casual fare. Since I was not expecting anyone, I hurriedly filled a box of extra unnecessary things on my kitchen table and quickly put it out of sight and was casually and patiently awaiting company. To my surprise they presented me with a bouquet of beautiful cut flowers.  It was a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.  At nearly supper time, my son said , ”Are you hungry Mom?”  My answer was “What does that have to do with anything? Let’s go eat.”  So we went to the local restaurant for a quick meal, which was easy for me and no dishes to do.

Monday afternoon 7 family members and a friend went to the movie “The Butler”, which was much different that I imagined it would be but I enjoyed it. The day ended with a birthday party for my son-in-law who was entering the Senior citizen zone. The weekend was very low key family oriented, but the kind of magic that I enjoy most.

Now let’s go quickly to the end of summer recipes for which you will find plenty of fresh garden supplies to try out for your menus. Someone was mentioning scalloped cabbage recently.  Hope this recipe is what they were looking for. I have some left over cabbage in my refrigerator so I will be making some this week.
          
SCALLOPED CABBAGE
5 cups crisp-cooked cabbage, well drained
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pepper and salt to taste
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup buttered crumbs
Put well drained cabbage in a buttered 2 quart casserole. Make a white sauce with the butter, flour seasonings and milk. Add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over cabbage and cover with buttered crumbs. Bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
    
SOUTHERN YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE
4 cups yellow squash , slice into 1/4 inch slices, not peeled.
1 medium onion
1 can creamed chicken soup
1 can creamed celery soup
Cracker crumbs of bread crumbs, buttered
Slice squash into ¼ inch slices. Slice onions into rings and cook gently until onion is transparent and squash is tender. Place in casserole dish and mix with soup.  Sprinkle top with buttered cracker or bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.


My nosey friend was busy a week or so ago when I gave you the recipe for bread pudding. I received two phone calls (at least that many people read the recipe) and informed me that I mentioned the milk in the directions, but had none in listed in the ingredients. Now I am certain that I did it right, so she must have messed with my computer and deleted it before I sent it to the paper.  We will have to have a serious talk again!

No comments:

Post a Comment