Monday, September 30, 2013

Onion Rolls and Hamburger Casserole 9/26/13


Solomon Farm


My how fast the weeks seem to go by. Here we are with another month nearly gone into the past. Looks as if I forgot to start a number of projects that I  had saved for summer. Oh, well maybe no one will notice, hopefully.  I did have a serious talk with my friend who is constantly trying to run my life. I do not see how she can be so busy with me when I get so many complaints from friends who ask me to please keep her here because she has been at their house too many times. Back to my own problems.  I just told her to keep still about me and my inclination to turn on my furnace.

My oldest brother and I were often on the same page. He always said that everything that he ate no one was going to take away from him, so it was money well spent. We also agreed that as long as we had a nickel we were going to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I looked in my purse and saw a dime shining brightly. As I examined the week’s morning temperatures for the coming week, by the time you read this my furnace will be humming quietly.

I had two magic days last week.  How blessed can one little old lady be?  On Tuesday my daughter who visits me weekly on her lunch hour told me she wanted to take a half day vacation and spend it with me and her Aunt Mary. She wanted to include my sister, but we decided none of us were capable of handling her and her wheel chair, so we just honked when we went by her place. After much deliberation and mind changing we decided to go to Auburn to Cracker Barrel for lunch, then attend a movie at the theater nearby that has 8 movie screens.  Now wouldn’t you think there would be a decent movie with that many choices?  There was only one we would consider and two of us had already seen that one. So we questioned a man just leaving the theater about what he had seen. His answer as he glanced at our white hair was, “The language was pretty bad.”  He would not recommend any of them. Nete went into the theater and came out with tickets she had bought on the recommendation of a young girl who was at the ticket counter. The movie was unbelievably clean in language, no violence, nor immorality.  What did we want?  Not one based on Greek mythology, about which we were all poorly informed, with its otherworldly sea creatures and unimaginable scenes. I could have happily left after 15 minutes hoping it would get better. All I could think as I watched it was, “I am sure glad she is treating us to the movie and it didn’t cost me anything.”  We had a great meal and laughed all the way home about the movie and why we ever stayed to watch it all. Maybe the next time they will have a Disney cartoon that we can enjoy. Other than the choice of movies it was a great afternoon spent with family.


Sunday was my sister-in-law’s birthday and since it was our church festival and we were all busy there we celebrated on Saturday and took her to the Red Lobster Restaurant in Ft. Wayne. That is her favorite place to eat and ten of us, including her brother Tony who came from Toledo had a very pleasant outing. Then we stopped at The Solomon Farm, where my daughter and her husband were cooking food at their Chuck Wagon and innocently suggested that we stop by, since they could not be at our party but not really expecting us to. There are 97 acres donated to the park system by a family and it has to stay in the farm atmosphere.  There were a lot of things going on and we took a ride in a wagon with two beautiful gray horses (if I mentioned their breed, I wouldn’t spell it right, so we will leave it there). They told us each horse weighed 2200 pounds. Maybe your mind can produce your own image. Two little old ladies needed considerable help in getting into the wagon but everyone was very gracious and helpful. it was a great experience.  We can put the day in my Magic category.



My first recipe this week is one that I probably will never make, but if you make it, I am sure I would like to eat some! It is from an old magazine, and maybe it is one you  have already tried. The other one will make a nice entrĂ©e for a chilly day’s lunch.
           
ONION CRESCENT ROLLS
1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls
1 ½  cups French fried onions
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
Unroll crescent dough and separate triangles.
Sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons of onions. Roll up each from the wide end; place on an ungreased foil lined baking sheet. Curve ends down to form crescents. Beat the egg and water. Brush over the dough. Sprinkle with remaining onionsBake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
          
HAMBURGER CASSEROLE
1 ½ pounds of lean ground beef
1 pkg. (12 oz.) noodles
1 medium onion
1 medium pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can tomato soup
Velveeta cheese to taste
Brown meat, onions, and pepper. Drain off fat. Cook noodles and drain. Mix noodles, meat and soups. Place half of mixture n greased 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with grated cheese, then the rest of the meat. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I have received raving remarks about the Toffee Bars recipe. On the same page was a reminder that I had left out the amount of milk in my bread pudding recipe. For any of you who are still wondering, the amount is 2 cups. Maybe someday I will improve, but do not hold your breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment