Monday, December 3, 2012

11/29/12


Hope your holiday weekend was all that you hoped it would be.  Mine turned out to be greater.  I was expecting a small guest list because of distance and other commitments but had between 25 and 30 for the noon meal. Later in the day another 25 dropped in.  The latecomers were invited to fill a plate with leftovers and I showed them how to work the microwave. A lazy approach but it worked.

On Sunday my sister, sister-in –law and  I  were invited by a family of nieces and nephews to be “special guests” at their Thanksgiving celebration. My niece and her husband from Pennsylvania were visiting her mother, so they chauffeured all of us to the rural home of our nephew and his wife. It was a magical afternoon and we felt privileged to be included.

After a weekend of food and more food, I was captivated with a very simple, low calorie, healthy recipe.  I especially liked the simplicity of the fruit combination with a 5 minute preparation time, which also, sounds attractive and tasty.
                        
FRUIT  MELODY
1 ½ cups strawberries, halved or quartered
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 medium banana, sliced
¾ cup green grapes
1 can (21 oz.) peach pie filling
Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Especially attractive in a clear compote dish. I have a deep respect for potatoes, no matter what you do to them. So this recipe jumped from the pages of my book with such vivacity (yes, there is such a word) that I could not ignore it.  I am just as eager to prepare and taste it. Another asset is that there are only five ingredients.
                                    
CHEESY SAUSAGE POTATOES
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cups ( 8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Crumble sausage a skillet and add onion. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, Drain off fat. Drain potatoes and arrange in a 9 x 13 in baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Add sausage and stir gently. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Right at this moment my sister is preparing for surgery for a knee replacement. My heart and mind are full of prayers for a successful venture to free her of much pain and regain mobility.  Her usual comment is “Now I am not sick, I just can’t walk!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment