Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Prayer, Politics, and Peanut Butter 11/15/12


I promised myself that I was not going into the area of politics. The campaign is over. I am certain that a lot of prayers were offered for different results.  Now we find ourselves dealing with the outcome. Perhaps a solution is that we should storm heaven daily with continued prayers that our President and Congress will do what we elected them for and get their heads and hearts on the  solutions that are the best for our country.  All of the good ideas do not come from your favorite side of the aisle, nor do all of the bad ideas come from your opponents. Each Sunday at our liturgy a prayer is offered for all of our elected officials during the Prayers of the Faithful.  Now let’s make it a daily petition.

This last week was full of magic moments for me. A special one was the fulfilling of a Christmas gift for last Christmas.  My daughter gave her aunt a gift of a meal at Red Lobster which is her favorite restaurant. She included me and her sisters. It was a fabulous venture and the only way it could have been better would have been if we could have managed to get all seven of us in the same available vehicle. To top that, the next day, when I was quietly attending to my own business, (no, I was not taking a nap, that was earlier!), I heard someone come in my front door. Lo and behold, it was my grandson who has been deployed (we do not know where) for several months with the Rangers, and his parents.  It was a great surprise.  He will be home for two weeks and can spend Thanksgiving Day with us!  Welcome home, Evan, even if it is for a short time.

Sunday a friend invited me to go with her to the Lutheran Church for their pie and soup luncheon for the benefit of The Foods Resource Bank, a Christian response to world hunger. I tell people that if they really do not want me, do not ask me because I tend to go! Besides, responding to world hunger there were many other benefits.  First they had about five kinds of soup.  My first inclination was to give me a ladle of each kind and stir it well. Then I narrowed it down to two favorites. Someone graciously prepared sugar-free pumpkin pie. My intelligent response reached for the sugar free.  My human nature remembered that a week or so ago my doctor was very pleased with my numbers that were the result of my blood work! So guess what?  When I arrived at my table to eat my selections, there was a beautiful piece of coconut cream pie that was just as delicious as it looked. If you might have made it, it was perfection.  Now tomorrow I will have two meals of oatmeal and cinnamon!  Besides an excellent choice of food, I saw so many people that I rarely see (including several of my farmer friends and a cousin of my husband) and the venture turned into a magic I ½  hours.

Now we can flow smoothly into the area of recipes. I changed my mind several times between a ten year old magazine and  an equally old church cookbook that I picked up at a garage sale.  Since my mind was settled on soups  today, here is one that I think I would like, also. Hope you agree. Really I used one recipe from each source.
                        
CHEESY FLORET SOUP
3 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut as fine as you like
3 cups fresh cauliflower, cut as fine as you like
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups water
½ teaspoon celery salt
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2- 1/3 cups milk
1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed 
Combine the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, onion, water and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir n milk. Bring to a boil and cook 2 until thickened. Reduce heat and add cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Drain vegetables, add cheese sauce and heat through.
                        
PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKES
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
¼ cup butter
¼ cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sour milk
Combine flour and soda, set aside. Cream sugar, butter and peanut butter. Beat in egg. Add sour milk alternately with flour mixture. Bake at 350 degrees in cup cake pans lined with papers.
Makes 1 ½ dozen or can be baked in a 7 x 11 cake pan.
            ICING:  2 cups powdered sugar
                           ½ cup peanut butter
                           1 tablespoon soft butter
                           2 to 3 tablespoons hot water

One reader told me today that she likes to read about my experiences of long ago.  Nothing came to mind as I sat down to my computer, so Pat, I will work on that idea for another day just for you! I also found the recipe that you lost. Call me and I can give it to you, if you do not locate it otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment