Thursday, November 1, 2012

Home and Food Makeover 11/1/12


Look at that date!! There will be a short intermission while I go get my winter coat out of storage. I really thought I needed it this morning as I was leaving the house for church in a  suit with a light jacket.  I did turn off the ignition, go back into the house and get a light coat that was easy to grab so I would not be late. I do not think that I am emotionally prepared for the start of cold weather, but may have to be ready quickly.

I just had a completely magic week. Just like a kid,  my birthday is special to me. Thank all of you who may have sent me a card, an email, a Facebook greeting, a phone call, stopped by the house or just happened to meet me about town and mention it.  Last May I impulsively purchased some new carpet for my dining room and living room. Several of my kids suggested that I not have it installed until they painted the walls in both rooms! It was a great idea but the idea got tabled and ignored. I suggested to a daughter that my birthday was approaching, so why didn’t they all work together to get my painting done instead of giving me birthday presents. So we had two magic days when those who were free came and removed the carpet, two of them wanted some of it for home projects of their own. Before I knew what was happening the old carpet was going out the door, furniture was packed into the small space of my front porch, the narrow space in my bedroom, a trailer parked in front of the house, and several kids (they are really adult, but will always be “my kids”)  were painting the woodwork, mopboards and windows.  Two worked later than they planned, so everything would be ready for a Saturday painting party. Also all of the dishes from two china cabinets were put in plastic tubs. Some of my belongings are on the front porch, some in the garage, some in the basement.  So can you understand that I do not know where anything is? This uncovered some more house repair jobs that have to be done. So I am going to have to pad my time sheet with Uncle Sam and try to stay afloat!

The special part of those two days was the specialness of family working together, enjoying each other and when we are together the most fabulous food appears. Another magic part of the day was when I saw three great-grand kids helping paint! No one interfered, so I also said nothing, When the adults painted over their art work, it disappeared.  It was a real enjoyment for them. Just hope they do not try it at home, when mom is not looking.

I am certain that when we get everything back together again, I will be more than happy with the project.  I doubt if I have enough years left to make it a wise investment but it will certainly be an enjoyable one. No doubt I will now spend more time in my living room enjoying the atmosphere instead of in the kitchen, doing dishes, mopping the floor and cooking.

That was a sneaky way to get to recipes but I have a couple I think you will like.  I think I was a grandmother before I ever  heard of beef stroganoff, but it is something that I like but have never made. Last week I saw this recipe and it sounds simple enough that I think I can master it, so why don’t you try it, too?  Also I am passing along the ultra peach pie recipe that I promised you last week.  See, my mind is not completely gone, just doesn’t work to top speed like it used to.
                       
BEEF STROGANOFF
5 tablespoons flour, divided
½ teaspoon salt
1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
½ cup chopped sweet onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 ¼  cup beef broth
1 cup (8oz.) sour cream
2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
Hot cooked egg noodles or rice
Place 2 tablespoons flour and salt in a bag. Add beef a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. Brown beef in 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add garlic, remove from heat and keep warm. In same skillet add remaining butter. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until smooth. Slowly add broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Return beef mixture to skillet. Add sour cream and broth or sherry. Heat through but do not boil. Serve with cooked  noodles or rice.
    
SOUR CREAM PEACH PECAN PIE
4 cups sliced peeled peaches
2 tablespoons peach preserves
1 cup sugar
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
3 egg yolks
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
TOPPING:
½ cup flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
3 tablespoons chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup cold butter
Line a 9 inch Pie plate with pastry from your favorite recipe and flute edges. Combine peaches and preserves. Place in pastry. Whisk sugar, sour cream,   egg yolks, flour and vanilla. Pour over peaches.  Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.   Combine the flour, sugars, pecans and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly and spread over pie. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean and topping is a golden brown. Cool for one hour.

Make your favorite salad, the beef stroganoff and finish your meal with a generous piece of the peach pie and make your family all “happy campers”.

No comments:

Post a Comment