Wednesday, April 25, 2012

4/26/12

Today I find myself in an emotional turmoil with my literary productive functions in lockdown.  This just proves the folly of me not carrying out one of my original plans. I was always going to have at least two columns done ahead of time so I would have a back up on days like today.  As of Sunday, I find myself one of two siblings left out of an original very closely knit family of seven siblings. Since I am dealing with the very recent death of my youngest sister, I am really struggling with this today. The best solution I have mustered is to just go quickly to food for those of you who look for recipes.  Rest in peace, Till.

I am giving you two entrees.  One of the problems in providing food for a family is often, “What in the world will I prepare for  today’s meals?” If you really appreciate Reuben sandwiches, here is a very easy to prepare recipe, and you can say, “I did this myself.”
             
FAVORITE REUBENS
8 rye bread slices
2 packages (8 oz.) corned beef slices
1 can (8 oz.) sauerkraut, drained
8 slices process cheese spread
½ cup Thousand Island  dressing
Butter

For each sandwich, cover one bread slice with I ½ ounces of meat, approximately ¼ cup sauerkraut, 1 ½  ounces of meat, 2 slices of cheese, 1 tablespoon of dressing and a second slice of bread. Spread sandwich with butter and grill in skillet until lightly browned on both sides.

If you need a hearty casserole entrée , try this chicken based pasta one. You can bake it in 2 small containers and freeze one, or bake it one large one if needed. It is similar to one I use a lot , only mine uses noodles and this one has a few extra ingredients.  I think you will like it.
             
CHICKEN & CHEESE PASTA BAKE
1 package ( 16 oz.) spaghetti, broken
2 medium onions
I medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
½ cup butter
6 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can (10 ¾ oz. ) cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, sauté onions and pepper in butter in a Dutch oven, until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the chicken, soups, sour cream, salt and pepper.  Drain spaghetti, add  to sauce mixture. Transfer to two 11 x 7 inch, or one large, casserole baking dishes.  Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
Can be frozen for up to three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment