Friday, April 13, 2012

4/12/12

Hope Easter blessings were showered on each of you and those dearest to your heart. My day was as magic as the weather was beautiful. We had a smaller group than usual for the noon meal, but totaled a nice number with those who dropped in later; There were 27 of us at lunch time with a grand total of 57.  If anyone wants to dispute my calculations we will start with the statement “This is my story and I am sticking to it”!!! 

When we were peeling potatoes for scalloped potatoes with ham bits in them, I was concerned if we had enough.  Apparently my statement of “what you do not bring, we won’t eat, worried them again and we had more food than we could possibly sample. Whatever you may think our shortcomings are, we can sure cook well. I decided to use up the variety of paper plates in the cupboard. As we were eating I noticed a number of Christmas ones.  I justified this with the comment. “Well, without Christmas, we couldn’t have EASTER.

Talking about shortcomings, I did a doozy on Saturday morning. Someone ignored the threat of frost and did not put my car away. I have a standing appointment at 8 every Saturday morning. When I looked out my back door, all I could see was my frost laden car windows.  When you live alone you soon learn that the problem is yours to solve so I quickly decided to just go out and start the car and it would melt by the time I had to go.  Sounds simple enough, doesn’t it?  Everything went well as I started the car, turn on the button to defrost the rear window, turned on the heater fan and went back into the house, feeling quite proud of myself.  I was ready to go a little early but decided that early is better than late so went out knowing that all was under control. Imagine my startled demeanor when I noticed that the back window was cleared but the rest of the windows were still icy.  Everything turned to panic as I found the car was locked and I had not seen my second set of car keys since I came home from church on Good Friday afternoon.

Now what is a little old lady who lives alone supposed to do under such dramatic events. I went back into the house for one more desperate search. The gas gauge was down to a quarter full. My intentions were to go fill it on that trip out. I thought about bugging the man across the street, but he already had a full day scheduled and he would probably kill me for being so inept. Well maybe not, because it would have come under the scenario of conflict of interest!  So I sent up a plea for heavenly help to locate my extra keys hoping for a quick solution. As I made my last trip through the dining room, there right out in plain sight were my keys, hanging on the back of a dining room chair. I think my guardian angel was on duty and put them there so I could find them quickly. As I unlocked the door and got inside my car , I discovered that I had the air conditioner on instead of the heater. No wonder my windows were still frosty!! I still had 2 minutes when I arrived at my destination. Wouldn’t it be simpler  to always put them on the hook especially reserved  inside the kitchen door when I come home?

I am not a bit hungry. Maybe that is why no recipe has challenged me tonight. Guess I will tell you about one that I tried for Easter!  You are on your own with it.  One of my daughters told me it looked like raw meat balls.  After I told them what was in it several were brave enough to try it and said with a surprised look on their faces, “Mmmm.  Not bad.” Will that  be enough of a testimony for you to try it?  I tried it because I had saved the recipe for a long, long time and had a  half box of Vanilla Wafers in my cupboard that I wanted to get rid of. I would eat the whole batch myself if I dared risk the sugar.
                            
NO BAKE WALNUT BARS
2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
½ cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
1 cup chopped English walnuts
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
Combine all ingredients, Form into balls and roll in extra sugar. The batter will be sticky, so I chilled mine. Let’s try another simple four ingredient entrĂ©e.
         
POTATO HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
4 chicken breasts,  dark meat if you prefer, or mixture
2 cups potatoes, shredded
1 onion sliced
½ cup Honey Mustard Prepared salad Dressing. (I like KEN’s)
Spread shredded potatoes in bottom of 9x 13 inch lightly greased baking dish. Place sliced onion on top of potatoes. Place pieces of chicken on top of onions and drizzle salad dressing over chicken. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment