Wednesday, April 25, 2012

4/19/12

I hope you saved the recipe for the no-bake cookies from last week. Even though my daughter told me they looked like raw meat balls, and several Easter guests said they were afraid to try them, I have a good report from an unexpected source. My sister-in-law said she took one just to see what they tasted like.  On Tuesdays one daughter always visits me on her lunch hour. I told her to take the leftover ones home with her to keep me from eating them because of the excess sugar. She could throw them out if no one wanted to eat them. She said she would just take them back to work with her. An hour or so later, she sent me an email stating that one co-worker said that they were “so good” that she bet that I made them! Later that day she asked me for the recipe so she could make them for something special at their church next Sunday!  They were better a day or so after I made them.

Why do I keep doing stupid things just so I have something to write about the next week? My latest caper came from a bad decision to clean my refrigerator.  I turned it to the off position and apparently did not set it cold enough because my milk soured way before the expiration date. From my upbringing to not throw out anything that could possibly be used, I decided to use some of the milk for a batch of sugar cookies.  They turned out to be some of the best ones I have ever made. So I joyfully started to make my own frosting which calls for a stick of butter, an 8 ounce package of cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon flavoring. All went well as I reached for my powdered sugar in a Tupper Ware container stored above my microwave oven.  As I started to blend it with my hand mixer, I thought something was amiss, but decided that I had put in too much powdered sugar.  To remedy this I added three tablespoons of milk. This improved the situation until I started frosting cookies and it did not spread right. I have done this for years, so why was it acting like this?  Oh, oh, I have two identical containers and I had used corn starch!!  There is a very legible label on the side of the container but did I read it?  NO.  As I have said before, the person who does not read is no better off than the person who can’t read. There is a dear lesson in here somewhere. To save a cup of sour milk, I had to throw out a stick of butter, 8 ounces of cream cheese and several cups of corn starch! Please do not tell my kids because I was chipping away at their inheritance.

To help restore my creditability, I will give you a salad dressing recipe that even I cannot mess up.
           
PEANUT SALAD DRESSING
2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
2 tablespoons  honey
½ cup salad dressing
Blend peanut butter and honey. Stir in salad dressing. This is perfect for banana or apple salads.  I would like it on apple slices for a snack or for a fruit dip.
                       
POTATO EGG SUPPER
3 cups sliced cooked potatoes
6 hard boiled eggs
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Plan ahead to have potatoes already cooked. Sometimes a whole bag of potatoes need to be used and will make too many for that day’s meal.  It can be a quick meal for lunch after church. Place potatoes and eggs in a 2 quart casserole. Blend milk, soup and seasonings. Pour over potatoes. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.  If you like onions, I think they would be a good addition. Be creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment