Thursday, December 8, 2011

12/6/11

With the complications of another dreary, rainy Monday morning and a computer that is giving me fits, I certainly hope that all of my “magic moments” have not escaped my frazzled mind. My computer is on the same page with my car—if it works when I turn on the ignition and shift the gears, I am ready to go. Otherwise, I find myself way out in left field.  A new problem surfaced this morning when I turned on my computer.  After starting and stopping it several times, I think I am in the “go” status.  Hope it lasts until I get this on its way to you.

This last week was a busy one for me, with several opportunities to discover magic moments.  Will try to concentrate on two, after getting my inner self quieted down from my frustrations this morning, which should make me change from my habit of procrastination.  But at my age, is change possible?


Yesterday furnished a double pleasure making it a magic day.  I spent it with three daughters and a great granddaughter and attended the Bethlehem Walk at Fairview Missionary Church  near Angola. It was a fantastic production, produced by the members of the church, taking you back to the day after Christ’s birth in the city of Bethlehem.  It is hard to describe the costumes and sense of reality that it portrayed.  It was a great experience. An added blessing was when we stopped at a department store, we were overwhelmed when we saw a son and daughter-in-law from Wauseon shopping in Angola!  Just goes to show you that magic moments are where we least expect to find them.

Last Saturday I attended the funeral of a long, long time friend.  She was the sister-in-law of a classmate and friend of mine with whom I lived with in Ft. Wayne during our working days after high school.  She was a bridesmaid at  my wedding.   Our married lives scattered us to different parts of the country.  Really, I just stayed here and she ended up in Massachusetts.  We rarely see each other anymore, but I do have email contact with her.  When I asked if she were coming back for the funeral she told me that she has had a back injury and was not able to travel, but that a son and his wife and a daughter would be at the funeral.  It took some micromanaging but I did it and saw them after the funeral.  They were very gracious and even took a picture of me with them to show their mother! This made me late for a previous luncheon appointment, but it was a very pleasant experience.

When I look at today’s date, it reminds me how close Christmas really is.  So if I can find the 1992 magazine that I have been saving for Christmas recipes, I will get this to the editor in time to make the paper.
                       
CHOCOLATE PECAN TREATS
1 ½ cups  semi-sweet chocolate chips (can substitute milk chocolate if you prefer)
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
½ cup flaked coconut
½ cup finely chopped pecans
¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
16 vanilla wafers
Over hot water, not boiling, combine chocolate
 morsels and shortening. Stir until melted and
 smooth. Remove from heat. Let stand over hot water
for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine coconut, pecans
 sweetened milk. Stir until well blended. Spoon one rounded
measuring spoonful of coconut mixture on each vanilla wafer.
Place on wire rack over waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Pour
scant tablespoonful of melted chocolate over each cookie.
Chill until chocolate is set.
                       
PECAN PUMPKIN PIE
Pumpkin layer:  1 egg
                                1 cup solid pack pumpkin
                                 1/3 cup white sugar
                                 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
                                 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
Pecan layer:           2 eggs
                                   2/3 cup light corn syrup
                                   ½ cup white sugar
                                   3 tablespoons butter, melted
                                   ½ teaspoon vanilla
Beat egg, pumpkin, sugar and. spice. Spread over bottom of pie shell.
In same bowl beat eggs, stir in syrup, sugar butter and vanilla. Stir in nuts.
Spoon over pumpkin mixture. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.

May you all find peace, joy and many Magic Moments. in your lives this Christmas season.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing that I don't have any vanilla wafers on hand. However, I do have some graham crackers and I bet that would be a good substitute. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete