Thursday, December 8, 2011

11/29/11

With Thanksgiving Day barely in the past it is hard to believe that the Christmas season has begun with today being the first Sunday of Advent. The church was beautifully decorated this morning for the Advent season, which was a sharp reminder that Christmas is just around the corner. Don’t let the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping, decorating our homes and preparing our usual Christmas treats overshadow the literal meaning of Advent which means “to come”.  Let a spiritual preparation for the real meaning of Christmas be an important part of your Christmas planning.

I had a bad start to advent this morning when I became ill before Mass began.  I was too uncomfortable to try to stay for the whole service, so when the entrance hymn was announced and the congregation stood, I used the circumstances to slip out as unnoticed as possible.  I diagnosed my malady as a low sugar complication which has occurred only once before, but is quite distracting. I made it home safely, ate some candy corn and two slices of toast and peanut butter which restored me to a normal status. I had eaten some breakfast, but was informed that if my sugar count were low to begin with, it was not enough sustain me until lunch time.  Will try to make up my worship time this week.

My mind was really off track and I forgot to go to my daughter’s for their family Thanksgiving celebration!  I did not miss out completely because after their guests went home, she and her husband stopped in to see me and brought a sample of the dessert.  She also brought the recipe with her, so you can benefit from my good fortune.  I ate half of it and am now certain that my sugar count is not too low.

I haven’t been eating out much lately, but it seems that my dessert was a sample of some of the  mini desserts offered in restaurants called “shooter desserts”   The recipe is quite general with the amounts being dictated by the size of the  glass that you choose.
                                   
CARAMEL APPLE PIE SHOOTER
Crushed Nutter Butters
Finely chopped red and green apples
Caramel topping
White chocolate pudding
Additional apples, caramel topping and crushed cookies
Chill until serving. Garnish with whipped topping, caramel
 topping and apples slices.  You could be creative and try other ingredients.
Since this was a simple creation, I guess I will go back to my Four Ingredient Cook Books and not make this week’s cooking too complicated. Maybe we should try something that is not a dessert.
                                               
 HAWAIIAN BAKED PORK CHOPS
4 pork chops , ½ inch thick
2 cups crushed pineapple
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Place pineapple in a greased baking dish. Place sliced
sweet potatoes over pineapple and sprinkle with brown
sugar. Place pork chops on top of sweet potatoes. Bake
 covered at 350 degrees for 1 hour, uncovered at 450
degrees for ten minutes.

Wishing all of you a very special Christmas season .

No comments:

Post a Comment