Thursday, September 29, 2011

9/29/11

It is a damp, chilly, and dreary Monday morning. My intellectual being is responding accordingly. However last week did offer several bright spots. Her family helped my husband’s sister celebrate her 80th birthday. Doesn’t seem as if that many years could have passed already. I remember her way back when we moved to Edgerton. She rode on the same school bus as a little blond girl with pig tails in the lower grades, never dreaming at that time she would become such an important part of my life. We honored her wishes with a family dinner at The Barn in Archbold, followed by a gathering in another sister-in-law’s home for those who could not make the dinner celebration. We had a lot of conflicts with a number of niece’s and nephew’s schedules but it was a great celebration. Let’s try for 85, Mary.

On Friday, a tremendous surprise made my day. I had overscheduled too many things for my tired old body to accomplish. In the middle of the afternoon, I decided I needed a short break. As I leaned back in my easy chair with my feet on the foot stool, I breathed a deep sigh of contentment. In my subconscious being, I thought I heard something, but didn’t respond. I finally realized that it was my back door bell. Since I am no longer youthful, it took me a short while to get out of my recliner, stabilize my upright position and get to the back door. This youthful lady, to me anyone under 65 is youthful, was just going back to her car. She had been here earlier in the day and I was not at home. By this time I am was certain that she was thinking, “Why did I bother with her?” She had brought me a piece of fresh grape pie! She is very gracious to me, but we do not have a really close friendship. I knew her dad from my childhood. She responds to my recipes and has brought me a few to pass on to you. I never bake grape pie because the preparation is too lengthy and tedious. There were two very important results of her kindness. First, why should she think of me and want to share her labor? Secondly, it brought back memories of my childhood and my mother. It was another combination of many magic moments recaptured. All of this brought to mind the importance of doing random acts of kindness to those who do not expect them. I call that “God nudges.” I remember in my youthful days when my mother made grape pie. It was my oldest brother’s favorite. He could talk me out of my piece with a nickel, occasionally on my luckier days I would get a dime. As I look back now I wonder why our parents allowed such dealings. I do understand how tempting even a nickel was to me when money was such a scarce item in our household. Thanks, Kay. You made my day a magic one.

I have almost given up finding the lost recipe I found on my back door. I thought by now that it would surface, but now I am looking for two things that I put in a “special place” where I would know where they are. Guess I will have to admit defeat and contact the source of the recipe.

I am still weeding out unnecessary clutter and things that I have saved and not used. I came upon a collection of recipes in a weekend mailing. I will use two and then pass the rest on to posterity. I am certain that my kids will appreciate the disappearance of some of my gatherings. The picture of the cookies was quite unique, although I will admit I have not tried to make them. The chicken recipe intrigued me as I look for new ways to prepare chicken and this seemed really simple. Hope they both appeal to most of you.

CHOCOLATE INSERT COOKIES
¾ cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup flour
25 solid chocolate candies
1 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
¾ teaspoon powdered cocoa
Combine butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla. Add flour to butter mixture. Shape dough
into 25 one inch balls. Flatten each ball into a flat 2 inch
round. Place the rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased
cookie sheet. Place a chocolate candy in the center of each
round. Enclose the candy with the dough, making sure the
candy is completely sealed in the dough. Bake at 375 degrees
12 to 15 minutes. Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa.
Sprinkle over the hot cookies. Cool cookies for a few minutes
on the cookie sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool.( I
checked several times to be certain that I did not miss listing
soda nor baking powder!) It was suggested to put the cocoa
and powdered sugar in a shaker. The cookies will absorb the
mixture, so you may want to sprinkle again .

BAKED DRUMSTICKS
1 cup cooking oil
½ cup Bisquick
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon seasoning salt
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon pepper
10 drumsticks
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour oil into 10 by 15 inch baking
pan. Combine baking mix and seasonings and place in a paper
bag. Add the drumsticks, a few at a time and shake to coat.
Arrange on the prepared baking pan. Bake chicken, turning once,
About 30 minutes or until juices run clear. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment