Thursday, September 15, 2011

9/15/11

As I notice the date, two startling facts penetrate my mind. First of all, it can’t possibly be that we have placed into our past half of another month. That brings to mind the rapid approaching of winter and the memories of last year’s snow, snow, snow.

On a more pleasant plane, this week MAGIC MOMENTS became an adult. Would you believe that on the 13th it reached its 21st birthday? We celebrated by proposing a special toast with a strong drink of decaffeinated tea minus any sugar! My sincere thanks go to the patience and understanding of four editors, and the unbelievable support of all of you readers. (I am certain that my style of writing and thoughts are not favorites with everyone, but those of you who enjoy it have my eternal thanks.) Shall we try for another year?

I was performing a corporal work of mercy last week, (visiting the sick). When I returned home, I found taped to my back door a recipe from a faithful reader. I “put it where I would know where it was” but all I can find this morning is the cover sheet. The only thing that I can think of after quickly scanning my favorite spots is that the old lady that keeps messing up my things has been here again. Since I have already used up all of the time I dare spend searching, I will go to my reserve source of recipes and give you something to stifle the hunger pains. We will hope that my “lost” recipe will come to the surface for next week. My theory is that you can’t spoil potatoes, no matter what you do to them. So I have one that is simple to prepare and ready in half of an hour. It should be an answer for a quick meal when you spent more time shopping than you planned, or just wanted to finish that interesting novel that you had only a chapter to finish. We will hope that my “lost” recipe will come to the surface for next week.

SAUSAGE SKILLET DINNER
1 pound Italian sweet sausage (or your favorite choice of meat)
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup diagonally sliced celery
4 baking potatoes, pared and diced
1 can (1 lb.) tomatoes
¾ cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 beef bouillon cube
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
Brown sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook
until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 20 to 25
minutes or until potatoes are tender.

I can’t pass by a simple idea for a quick sweet tooth antidote. If I make these I will have to have someone in mind to give 98% of them, or I would eat the whole thing myself.

PEANUT BUTTER ROCKY ROAD
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup crunchy peanut butter
¾ cup chopped peanuts or walnuts
3 cups miniature marshmallows
Combine chocolate and peanut butter in a microwaveable bowl.
Heat on high 2 minutes. (Adjust to your own microwave.) Stir once
halfway through cooking time. Stir until chocolate is melted and
smooth. Stir in peanuts and marshmallows. Immediately spread in
foil lined 11 x 7 baking pan. Refrigerate 1 to2 hours. Cut into pieces
the size of your choice. Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment