Thursday, August 18, 2011

8/18/11

To fulfill a reader’s need to have me share a few “dumb things that I do” so she feels better about herself, I will share one of my latest ones. Please don’t tell anyone! I have this pair of slip on shoes that I especially like. In fact, I like them so well that I ordered another pair just like them because the original pair was looking a little shabby. I hadn’t worn either pair for a few weeks and decided to wear the older pair for my daily walk to the post office. I noticed a bit of discomfort in my left foot, but decided it was just my imagination and besides I really liked these shoes. I wore them most of the day wondering why they caused discomfort when they were so thoroughly broken in. I decided to let them rest for a few days. They looked so innocent sitting on my shoe rack, I decided to investigate the inner part before putting them on again. To my dismay, there was a knee high stocking crunched down in the toe of the left shoe. My favorite shoes are now back in circulation, and I do not limp anymore.

I experienced a really magic moment yesterday. I was chatting with a nearly 98 year old friend and reader. She told me that she had tried and shared my recipe for hamburger stew. She doesn’t want to get so old that she can’t try new recipes and then share them. Opal, I’m glad that I could be a part of your activities and I do so admire your spirit to enjoy life to its fullest even at an advanced age.

I am slowly getting rid of some of my “stuff” that will end up in the dumpster eventually. Last week I parted with a few things that were hidden in my spare bedroom. There was a box of magazines, some over ten years old. I sorted through them, bidding them a fond farewell. At the bottom of the box I found all but one of a by-monthly subscription to a recipe magazine. I realize now why I saved them because they are full of recipes calling for every day, ordinary ingredients that I am partial to. I sent all of the others on their way, but will pass on several recipes from one of them for you today.

BASQUE SKILLET DINNER
1 pound Italian sweet sausage
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup sliced celery
4 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
¾ cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 beef bouillon cube
Salt and pepper to taste
½ teaspoon dried thyme
Brown sausage in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook
Until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 20
Minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

To the above entrée add a green salad and the following dessert to make a tasty and different meal for your family. The dessert should be great for any time the urge for a treat captivates your mind.

CREAMY BANANA PUDDING
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 ½ cups cold water
1 package (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pint cream whipped (I would use whipped topping)
36 vanilla wafers
3 bananas, sliced, dipped in lemon juice and drained
Maraschino cherries
Beat sweetened condensed milk, water, and pudding mix. Chill
five minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon pudding into bottom of
a trifle dish or individual sherbet dishes. Layer with wafers and bananas.
Repeat layers. Cover and chill. Top with whipped topping and garnish
with cherries.

Somewhere recently I read a suggestion, not a real recipe, to add carrots when you are cooking potatoes to mash. Just prepare them as you do your favorite mashed potatoes. I am going to do some today. My only suggestion is an unhealthy one for some, but I like plenty of butter and whole milk! Start with your own intuition about what proportion of carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment