Thursday, August 4, 2011

8/4/11

First of all, let me admit to a grave error last week. Ordinarily, I carefully check the ingredients of each recipe. My only excuse is that the little old lady that is always messing up my ordinarily highly rated percentage of perfection messed with my computer and deleted a very important word. Hopefully you were interested in the turkey meatballs. I pray that you did not do your shopping and purchase a whole turkey and have it ground! The recipe should read “ 1 pound of ground turkey”! A former editor (I have now worked for four of them) told me not to rehash mistakes, because it made it look as if you did not know what you are doing, but what does issuing a recipe calling for “1 ground turkey” do for your creditability?

Last week, from Thursday until Sunday evening, was so full of magic I know I cannot do it all justice in one issue. I had to make some difficult choices because I missed most of the Festival of Flags. For the first time since before I moved into Edgerton 28 years ago, I missed the parade. I did go Friday evening to the program at the park. Besides brief visits with several special people, it was inspiring to see the “older” ladies given special attention, congratulations to our new “Citizen of the year” and the great performance of the community choir. Thanks to Kevin Riehle who came from Texas to honor his dad for his dream of forming the choir and conducting it for many years. Great job, Kevin. Also, thanks go to the choir members. You are very necessary with your time and talents to make it a successful venture.

Friday morning three of my kids , a sister-in-law and a son-in-law and I went to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to a nephew’s wedding. We stayed overnight, met a niece and her husband from near Harrisburg, the groom’s parents from Toledo for breakfast at the hotel. Three hours later we were on our way back to Edgerton! It was a great experience, since it is a Sanders’ idiosyncrasy to be the last to leave most all social events and we do enjoy each other’s company. Thanks for your presence and congeniality, Marty and Rich. Also congratulations and best wishes for a happy marriage To Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Sanders.

When I arrived home Saturday, I had a phone message from my two youngest granddaughters asking if they could come to my house to bake the traditional Grandma Max’s sugar cookies. Most of you know that for years and years I hosted a Christmas cookie bake for all grandkids. These girls were young enough that by the time they could participate, the tradition had fallen away. They came Sunday afternoon and I help them make a single batch. Then I said, “O.K, girls, let’s see if you were paying attention. Now you do a batch without my help.” By this time a great granddaughter had arrived to participate. Either they are really smart kids or I am an excellent teacher, because we could not tell the difference between the two. They frosted and decorated at least six dozen. Their creative talents gave me some ideas in decorating. I was behind the door when artistic talents were passed out. Brittany, Aubrie and Hannah, here is a great big “Thank you” for creating a very magic day for me! Incidentally I insisted that they take ALL of the cookies home with them.

This week to help you increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, I found a couple of different ways to prepare them. Hope they intrigue you. I purchased some fantastic nectarines at the tent at CVS in Bryan. I purchase only eight since I was going away. They were on the counter when I got home and were at the perfect stage, so I immediately ate three of them. I am the same way with cookies, so I just get rid of them very quickly.

SESAME BROCCOLI
1 cup water
1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into spears
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Bring water to a boil. Add broccoli. Reduce heat, cover and simmer
for 5-7 minutes., or until crisp tender. Meanwhile, sauté sesame seeds
in 1 teaspoon oil until lightly browned. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice,
soy sauce and remaining oil. Drain broccoli. Toss with sesame seed mixture.

VEGETABLE MEDLEY
2 cups quartered small red potatoes
1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 cup fresh baby carrots
1tablespoon butter, melted
½ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups fresh asparagus (2 “ pieces)
¼ teaspoon salt
Bring potatoes, carrots, water and bouillon to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer
for 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and zucchini and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine
mustard, butter, thyme and salt. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment