Monday, March 30, 2015

Snow and Roses 2/19/15

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies by Taste of Home


After this brutal weekend I hope we can safely say that there will be only 6 more weeks of winter!  It was suggested that I not venture out for church, so I had my own private devotions with the aid of my television.  It is not the same but it fills the void created by staying home. I will do so for several more days according to the weather forecast.

I hope your Valentine’s Day was an uplifting day when you received and passed on the opportunity of letting people you love know they are important to you. Saturday was a real bummer weather-wise with a level 3 emergency declared, so that meant staying put was the order of the day.  I was sitting quietly in my lounge chair mentally assessing the probability of no company at all.  Imagine my surprise when the front door bell rang.  Standing there was a delivery man from a local nursery with a big smile on his face and a bouquet in his hand. Before snatching it quickly I ask him if he were not aware of a “level 3”.  His reply was, “Tell my boss that”.  

I was so curious to find out who sent me flowers, and I ripped off the tissue paper only to find a folded pink paper with my name and address on it. There was no card, so I unfolded, not too gently, the paper that was included.  There in big letters was the name of a Vietnam veteran who spent several months in action with my oldest son, Jim.  They formed an unusual friendship which has lasted all of these years. He lives in Los Angeles but comes to family weddings, etc., so we consider him family, too.  The flowers consisted of red roses, red buds, red carnations and greenery in a beautiful Valentine’s vase. It was a fantastic gesture which brought a few tears to my eyes.  A magic moment, indeed. It is still bringing pleasant thoughts as I see it daily. I will probably keep it on my dining room table until the red roses are dried and brown!  Thank you again, Carlos.

Since I have been housebound with just me, there is nothing else exciting to write about so l will just go to recipes. I have a new, to me, cookie recipe ready to bake for myself.  It is different than my favorite oatmeal, chocolate chip recipe, but it sounds as if it will be special.  I clipped it from a magazine a long time ago and do not remember which one, but the recipe has miraculously survived in my pile, I mean file of recipes to try.
            
PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
1 ½ cups shortening
1 ½ cups peanut butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon salt
Cram shortening and peanut butter. Add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Combine oats, flour, soda and salt. Mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. (I could be tempted to add some chopped pecans!)

I have a cook book similar to the one I wrote about a couple of weeks ago. It has no date and has a small number of recipes but some of them intrigued me. Also some amounts suggest that they are from a number of years ago. Also directions are minimal. This one has possibilities if you are looking for ideas for meatless meals for Lent.
            
TUNA FISH POTATO CHIP CASSEROLE
1 ½ cups crushed potato chips
1 can tuna fish (I prefer Albacore)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
Pour all ingredients into a buttered casserole dish. Mix together and top with more crushed potato chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Here is a very simple combination that you could whip up while preparing the rest of your meal. I have a hard time stretching my imagination around the combination of cherry pie filling and mandarin oranges. Make your own decision.
            
PINK SALAD
½ cup coconut
1 can cherry pie filling
1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
1 can Mandarin oranges
1 ½ cup whipped topping
Mix and refrigerate.


Keep remembering that Spring is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment